Lance, Clinical Laboratory Scientist
Experience:  I have 27 years experience in the medical laboratory. I have been a specialist in Hematology for 22.

I checked my blood sugar about an hour ago and it was 393.

I checked my blood sugar about an hour ago and it was 393. It was about 4 PM. I had not eaten since 10 AM. I took it again at 4:30 and it was 321.
Category: Health
Expert:  Lance replied 8 years ago.

You definitely need to go to the ER. Your glucose level is getting dangerously high, and you could go into what is termed diabetic ketoacidosis. This is a very serious condition that can cause serious damage to your body and possibly death if not treated immediately. You need to find someone to take you to the ER, or call for an ambulance...DO NOT drive yourself there because you could lapse into a diabetic coma while at the wheel and cause a serious accident.

With a glucose level of 393 I do not believe you can be diagnosed as "pre-diabetic" any longer.

Please seek treatment immediately.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
with my glucose level down to 321 do you still think I should go to the ER