Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  MBBS, MS (General Surgery), Fellowship in Sports Medicine

I have a stinging sensation around my ankle and the lower outside

I have a stinging sensation around my ankle and the lower outside region of my leg. Should I be concerned?
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Arun Phophalia replied 8 years ago.

Since when is this? Do you have any swelling or redness around the area? Are the movements of ankle painful? Does the walking increases the problem? Does this sensations goes away when you lie down? Are you diabetic? What are the medications you are taking?

Thank you.

Dr. Arun

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
The stinging started in my ankle the first of July, and has moved up my leg in the last couple of weeks. There is no redness in the area. If I walk for long periods of time it does increase the stinging.
I am scheduled for hip replacement surgery on Sept. 24, could my hip pain be radiating all the way to my ankle?
Also, I travel by air for work each week. About 1 hour into the flight both legs start to cramp behind my knees and down my calves.
I am taking the following medicaitons:
Premarin .45 mg
Synthroid .075 mg
Crestor 20mg
I am not a diabetic.

This stinging pain is likely to be because of the pinched nerves in the back. This can be because of the;

1) Degenerative disc disease

2) Bone spurs (lumbar spondylosis)

3) Combination of both the above

The sitting in plane causing cramps and increasing pain on walking is further indicative of the causative in back (spinal canal stenosis can be responsible and the reasons I mentioned do play role in this also).

The treatment is physical therapy, deep electrotherapy, back braces and anti-inflammatory analgesics.

This is unlikely to be because of your hip pain.

Read about the pinched nerves;

Please feel free for your follow up questions.

Dr. Arun