Christy Hammond
Christy Hammond, Bachelor of Science in Nursing
Experience:  I have a B.S.N and more than 10 years of training and experience in patient care and education

What is a slow functioning gallbladder My ejection fraction

What is a slow functioning gallbladder? My ejection fraction was normal and there are no signs of gallstones, but they want to remove my gallbladder because it is "slow functioning". What does that mean and what would cause it to function slowly if I everything else looks normal? I have been extremely nauseous for over a month and haven't been able to hold down any food. I have no abdominal pain and I am not pregnant. My blood work shows no signs of infection or virus. I don't understand how a slow gallbladder could be causing all my problems. Please help!
Slow functioning gallbladder is called biliary dyskinisia. A normal gall bladder gradually fills with bile between meals, then contracts to empty its contents after eating. A gall bladder that does not contract properly (dyskinesia), retains bile which can cause pain, though some cases are asymptomatic and many are painless, though nausea is not uncommon.. Stones and infection are often not part of the functional disorder. Removal is the standard of care when BD is symptomatic and interferes with quality of life and digestion.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Thank you! Could the biliary dyskinisia be a reason for my elevated CRP and beta-hydroxybutyric acid levels?
CRP is used as a marker of inflammation, possibly reflecting the inflammation caused by your biliary dyskinesia, though it could result from many types of inflammation throughout the body. The beta-hydroxybutyric acid is basically ketones, which levels may also be effected by your condition.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Thanks again. I have a pre-op scheduled for Monday and I'm just nervous about having my gallbladder removed. I guess I'm scared of the "what if", as in what if they remove it and the nausea and vomiting continues. I've lost almost 20 pounds in the last month and I can't imagine going much longer like this. I would hate to have them remove it and find out later that it was something else completely. Then again, if it is the cause, let's get this thing out! Thank you for your response.
You are welcome, best of luck. I hope this relieves your nausea and vomiting and you feel better soon.