Dr. Josh
Dr. Josh, Doctor
Experience:  Practicing Physician, Family Physician for 7 years
6740150

hello, i am experiencing light colored stools for the last

Customer Question

hello, i am experiencing light colored stools for the last couple of weeks, beige in color i would say best decribes them, maybe a very light brown, this has occured on occasion in the past then would return to normal brown color in a day or two. I had a bout of viral dirreah right after discharge from the hospital on the 16th of august dirreah lasted three days temp stopped on forth day, immodium and tylenol only meds taken, while in hospital had abdominal ct scan liver, pancreas, gallbladder, were all said to be unremarkable, liver function tests all normal, lipase slightly elevated 309 range is 114-286 amylase in normal range 37 range is 25-115. I do have cdk they say that could be cause of teh lapase elevation any ideas regarding the light stool or am i just over reacting
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Josh replied 6 years ago.

Hello.

Well, the ideal color of stool is medium brown similar to the color of plain cardboard. The bile salts from the liver gives stool its brownish color.

Whenever there is insufficient bile output, it can cause very light brown color stool. . Also there are some food that can make this colour of stool , like peppermint, fatty foods, alcohol, coffee, and chocolate.It may also be the sign of a bacterial infection in the intestines. A detailed clinical checkup and stool test should be done to evaluate the cause. Treatment is done according to the cause.

Please remember to ACCEPT my answer with green button.

BONUS given will be appreciated.

Dr. Josh, Doctor
Experience: Practicing Physician, Family Physician for 7 years
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Relist: I prefer a second opinion.
I would like an expert to read my note and give me something other than a standard go see the doctor answer, I have talked to my doctor he says dont worry about it, but I am
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Relist: I prefer a second opinion.
Please read info provided and give me an opion also if you need more info ask I will provide, I can remember if i mentioined it but I take one imodium daily could this be the cause of the light stool
Expert:  Family Physician replied 6 years ago.
I'm sorry for the delay in getting an answer to your question. As one of the more senior physicians on the site, I would be concerned about the combination of light colored stool (particularly if you would describe them as "clay colored") and an elevated amylase. These symptoms could suggest a problem with a complete or partial blockage of the common bile duct and the pancreatic duct. This could be caused by small stones in the duct or even a tumor in the pancreas.

I would indeed suggest an evaluation by a physician. If you current physician does not seem to be interested in investigating these symptoms, I would consider getting a second opinion.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
THANKS DOCTOR APPRECIATE YOUR OPINION, THEY DONT SEEM TO FEEL THAT IS THE CASE DUE TO THE C SCAN NOT SHOWING ANY ISSUES WITH THE DUCT OR PANCREAS.............THE SLIGHTLY ELEVATED LAPASE THEY SAY IS MOST LIKELY DUE TO MY CDK GFR AROUND 45............THEY ALSO AND YOU MIGHT CONFIRM IF THIS IS CORRECT THAT I AM TAKING IMODIUM ABOUT 1 TIO 1-1/2 PER DAY AND THEY SAY THIS WILL LIGHTEN THE STOOLS. HAVING SAID THAT I DO HAVE AN APPOINTMENT WITH MY GASTRO DOC NEXT WEEK, I AM ALSO CONCERNED THAT I EITHER HAVE A GALLBALDER ISSUE OR PANCREAS ISSUE BECASUE OF SOME NEW SYMPTOMS IE A LOT OF BELCHING AFTER EATING AND I AM PASSING A LOT OF GAS, I DONT THINK MICROSCOPIC COLITIS WOULD PRESENT THIS WAY, I DO HAVE THE DIRREAH UNDER PRETTY GOOD CONTROL WITH THE IMODIUM. THANKS AGAIN AND I WILL SEE THAT YOU ARE FAIRLY COMPENSATED FOR YOUR TIME
The fact that the CT scan was normal is a very good sign. Any dysfunction of the sphincter of Oddi could also contribute or cause these symptoms.
http://hopkins-gi.nts.jhu.edu/pages/latin/templates/index.cfm?pg=disease1&disease=12&organ=3&lang_id=1