Macy RN
Macy RN, RN CHPN
Experience:  RN of 19 years.Experienced in ER, Critical Care, Surgery, Nutrition, Peds,OB/Gyn and Hospice.

on this med for alot of years.My doctor prescribed it for me

Hi,I had a question about the medication Xanax.I suffer from high anxiety.I have been on this med for alot of years.My doctor prescribed it for me and it seemed to work for me at first.It does not seem to have the same calming results as before.He even had to up my dosage once.Is this a normal problem with this med?I have heard some bad things about it.The med seems to wear off and when I take it I dont feel the same calm anymore.What do you think?I am going through alot of problems with a very sick dog and a bad relationship too.I guess that I am beginning to wonder about this med.Thanks .
Category: Health
Expert:  Macy RN replied 5 years ago.

HelloCustomer

I am happy to help you today.

I am so sorry to hear about your ill dog and a bad relationship.

You have been hit with a double whammy.

I can understand how you are feeling and your are right.

You can develop a tolerance to Xanax and it doesn't help as much as it did on your current dose.

You need to discuss this with your doctor as there are multiple anti- anxiety meds now and one might work better for you.

You could have withdawl fronm the xanax so let your doctor control weaning if you do change meds.

Best wishes to you,

Macy

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Thanks and would you happen to know a few of these,so I could ask my psychiatrist about them.I go there in about 1 week.I have just read about the withdrawl symtoms and it scared me.With all the stress I have been dealing with,I sometimes get obssesive,stupid,worrying thoughts also.I am an emotional person and I know it.It is just me and always have been.Probably all the years I have been on these,I am only get half the help anymore.I know that my genetics play a part also,as my dad was worrier and he did not get the right help and it turned out bad.Thanks again.
Expert:  Macy RN replied 5 years ago.

Sure, here is the list of some of them.

Of coarse your doctor will know which one would work best for you.

~Effexor

~paxil

~buspar

~atarax

~ativan

~valium

~librium

~oxapam

~tranzene

It will be ok. They usually start you on a low dose on one and increase it as they decrease your xanax.

He might just want to increase your xanax and leave you on that instead.

Take care,

Macy

Macy RN, RN CHPN
Experience: RN of 19 years.Experienced in ER, Critical Care, Surgery, Nutrition, Peds,OB/Gyn and Hospice.