Dr. Su S
Dr. Su S, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  25 years of clinical experience

I have had a rotten egg taste in my mouth and I have belching

I have had a rotten egg taste in my mouth and I have belching and gas that is awful.I also have a tender to touch where my stomach and esophagus meet.I was put on pracadia for my esophagus twisting up like a wet towel but this did not stop the taste and foul taste and smell.I have had a barium swallow and upper Gi and esophageal mobility test done.Please help I am at my wits end. I am very tired and no energy along with this. I am also diabetic.

Bad rotten egg taste is found when there is over growth of sulfur producing bacteria. If you have dry mouth, mouth's commensal bacteria decreases, sulfur producing bacteria take upper hand. If you take more protein containing food, then chances of bad breath is more. Dry mouth can be due to diabetes, excess coffee, alcohol, anxiety, tension etc. Reflux may also cause bad taste in the mouth. You should take less protein , take plenty of water, avoid tea , coffee , alcohol etc. in addition to your medicines.

Hope this information will help you.

Wish your early recovery.
Any query, please ask.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
I don't drink coffee or tea. think this is something more coming from my stomach area.I also don't have dry mouth.I also don't have reflux because the lap nissin in 2005 took care of that .Could you please study more on this and see if this could be anything more.This problem has been going on for 4 months know.I also can't eat much at all without my upper stomach feeling overly full and very bloated.
Indigestion or dyspepsia may also cause this. Sulfar producing bacteria may act on food protein to produce egg like smell. As you are feeling a fullness & discomfort in the upper abdomen , I would suggest you to take an endoscopy of upper gastrointestinal tract & an ultrasound examination, if you have not taken already taken.