Macy RN
Experience:  RN of 19 years.Experienced in ER, Critical Care, Surgery, Nutrition, Peds,OB/Gyn and Hospice.

I am sick for 2 weeks with flu and now having penumonia. Help

Customer Question

Is there such a thing as a reverse fever. I've been sick for two weeks with flu and now beginning with pneumonia. I've had constant up and down fevers - some as high as 104. Been to ER twice and last time I had developed pneumonia. Last night I had horrible chills and was shaking (like my fever was back) but the thermometer read my temp as normal. I tested it and it was working. I finally laid down with a heating pad on "warm" and felt better within about an hour. Is this a normal thing? Am I being treated correctly? At first, I had no meds; now I have an antibiotic for the pneumonia. I'm disgusted because no one can seem to help me.

Category: Health
Expert:  Macy RN replied 8 years ago.

What was your temperature last night?

Do you know how long before you took your temp you had aleve?

Customer: replied 8 years ago.

I did not have a temperature last night (though it felt as if I did). The thermometer registered 98.6.
Getting warm helped with the heating pad-which I know sounds nuts. I took Aleve 8 hours before.

Expert:  Macy RN replied 8 years ago.

It sounds like your fever may have been breaking. The antibiotics are starting to work on you and getting rid of the infection.

It is possible that you are a little dehydrated and that is causing you to be chilly along with any flu bug left. Flu can't be treated with antibiotics so it is possible to have flu and pneumonia at the same time.

Drink lots of fluids and keep an eye on your temp.

There isn't such a thing as a reverse fever but now if your temp goes below normal and you are having chills you need to get to the doctor right away (temp 97 and below) as this could be a sign of blood infection (sepsis).

Customer: replied 8 years ago.

Thank you. Last night at the same time (6:00 p.m) I had chills, cold hands, etc again. Took my temperature and it was 100.4. It was time for an Aleve so I took one. The temp was gone in about 1 1/2 hr. It just takes a lot out of you.

Expert:  Macy RN replied 8 years ago.

I know you are feeling bad. Make sure you are getting plenty of fluids. You will be feeling better real soon.