Macy RN
Macy RN, RN CHPN
Experience:  RN of 19 years.Experienced in ER, Critical Care, Surgery, Nutrition, Peds,OB/Gyn and Hospice.

skin on my leg is very weak it tears at the most moderate..ankle

Customer Question

the skin on my leg is very weak it tears at the most moderate of friction it is only from ankle to just below the knee on both legs when it occurs it is as thin as when you sunburn and peel but after a day or two will scab and take weeks to heal i have been checked for diabetes and blood clots i'm 47 male. my blood pressure is at 142 / 82 last time i was checked
Category: Health
Expert:  Macy RN replied 5 years ago.

HelloCustomer

I am happy to help you today.

Are you currently on any medications?

Do you have any health problems?

Awaiting your reply,

Macy

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
<p>no meds no real heath issues other than a few extra pounds blood pressure is on the high side but no meds just cut down on salt was my last advise from my doctors visit in may</p><p> </p><p>the most affected area is lower shin to ankle area the skin heals with a dark ish color looks like scar tissue skin in that area is also shinny</p><p> </p><p> </p>
Expert:  Macy RN replied 5 years ago.
Did you have any testing done such as doppler studies to check the circulation?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
yes on my left leg it was ok no blockage
Expert:  Macy RN replied 5 years ago.

I know I am asking a lot of questions but there are a lot of possible causes.

Does anyone in your family have the same thing?

Has it been this way all your life or when did it start?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
no nobody in my family or anyone i have ever spoken to as best i can tell it started back in nov 03 thats when i started to notice it one more thing it started with blisters almost like if you put a cigerette on my leg and let it burn they would be about 3/8" wide and 3/4" to 1" long they could appear anytime and for no reason mostly on the left leg but it has happened on the right they welt up quite tall and are filled with clear yellowish fluid and you can push them and they will expand like your moving the fluid around under the skin then will fill up after minutes and be larger
Expert:  Macy RN replied 5 years ago.

I am going to suggest that you get a skin culture to see if there is an infection causing this.

It is possible that it is something else but since your doppler studies were normal and you don't have diabetes we nee to check all the options.

With it blistering it sounds like an infection.

Best Wishes,

Macy

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
would that account for the weak skin?
Expert:  Macy RN replied 5 years ago.

It could.

Have you ever heard of the flesh eating disease?

I am not saying that you have that of coarse.

There are strains of bacteria such as STrep A that can cause deteriation of the skin.

I also suggest if ok with your doctor to start on a multivitamin and vitamin c to help your skin.

Your skin and hair gets nutrients last so if you are deficient in vitamins or other nutrients your organs will get everything first and if anything is left over it goes to your skin and hair.

Macy RN, RN CHPN
Experience: RN of 19 years.Experienced in ER, Critical Care, Surgery, Nutrition, Peds,OB/Gyn and Hospice.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
OK THANKS
Expert:  Macy RN replied 5 years ago.

You are welcome.