Macy RN
Experience:  RN of 19 years.Experienced in ER, Critical Care, Surgery, Nutrition, Peds,OB/Gyn and Hospice.

Hello When I was a child I had frequent leg pain in one or

Hello When I was a child I had frequent leg pain in one or both legs. It has resurfaced at different points in my life. Docs called it growing pains but I'm 42 now! In the last month or so, I've had the same pain, but in my right leg only. It is a dull, heavy ache and appears from my knee downwards. Initially, it was mainly at night, in bed, but know I have it during the day, and I also have pins n needles in the right foot - can you advise please?
Category: Health
Expert:  Macy RN replied 8 years ago.

Welcome to Just Answer.

I am happy to help you today.

The same thing that caused your " growing pains" when you were growing up can cause them now and that is an increased need for calcium and magnesium.

When our bodies are growing our bodies get depleated of calcium and that causes pain in our muscles.

As adults we need extra calcium too and should try to get 1000-1500mg per day and at least 400mg of magnesium per day.

SOme medications and diseases can cause a lost of electrolytes and the need to be replaced.

You could have decreased circulation and or diabetes.

I would get some lab work done just to see what your levels are on everything.

A pinched nerves can also cause the pins and needles feeling.

A trip to your doctor is in order to get checked.

Best Wishes,