Salar
Salar, Doctor
Experience:  int.medicine board eligible, research fellowship cardiology.. working at UTMCK
11855647

cat scan in March 08 to follow up on a previous test..kidney stone

Customer Question

I had a cat scan in March 08 to follow up on a previous test. The report also states the following, "Left renal calculus 1mm without obstruction, unchanged." My doctor did not say anything about this, but I am assuming that this is a kidney stone. A few years ago my gyno suggested I start taking a calcium supplement, so I began taking 1 vicativ chew twice a day. My husband, who suffers with kidney stones, has questioned if I should stop taking these due to the presence of the stone in my kidney? Could this have caused the stone and can it make it bigger?
Category: Health
Expert:  Salar replied 6 years ago.
The statement means that you have a kidney stone which is 1mm in size of the left side and it is not blocking the kidney. Also the size of the stone is uncganed from your last exam

As for the calcium .. there are several different types of kidney stones .. magnesium phosphate, uric acid, calcium oxalate crystals. The first thing is to find the composition of the stone ..your docotr can run tests .. 24 hr urine, calcium and uric acid level etc. Calcium in diet is good for oxalate stones. so usually reduction in calcium is not advised unless you know the composition of stone.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
My doctor never said anything about the stone when I got these results or previously. Is this something that I should follow up on or be concerned about? It is not causing any pain or problems, I was just curious about the calcium supplements.
Expert:  Salar replied 6 years ago.
stones less than 5mm in size usually pass through the ureter without any problem. You need not to do anything for it.. especially when it is not causing any pain or symptoms. You can use a strainer to catch the stone but its a hassel as no one knows when it will pass.Calcium supplements are fine.