Dr.Mian
Dr.Mian, MD
Experience:  Diplomat American Board of Family Medicine
11474993

blood test in for back surgery the doc told me to quit

Customer Question

The blood test in for back surgery the doc told me to quit so I had been smoke free for 3 weeks I honestly didn't think the surgery would be so soon. I have my pre screening on the 10th of Sept and my surgery on Sept 25th. Am I going to pass this blood test?? Or should I call and cancel my surgery?
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr.Mian replied 8 years ago.

Hello

I assume it was just cigarrette smoking right?

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Yes. 3 menthol cigarettes.
Expert:  Dr.Mian replied 8 years ago.

Thank you.

Nicotine is metabolised in liver to different compounds and most notable of those is a product called Kotinine. All these are excreted thorugh kidneys and are detectable in urine test.

Plasma half life of nicotine is about 1-4 hours and that of Kotinine is around 7-40 hours.

It means that if you will stop completely smoking around 6 days before screening test, and you do not get exposed to cigarrete smoke passivley, then your blood level of kotinine should be in non smoking range by that time.

Still you have almsot 10 days those should be good enough if you practice strict abstinence from cigarrete active and passive smoking.

Best wishes for your surgery.

Expert:  Dr.Mian replied 8 years ago.

Correction.

2 weeks or 14 days required before non smoking level is attained in the body. Because you di not smoke recently, so if it comes up to almost 14 days till 10th of september, then you should be able to pass the test. That is for blood test.

If urine test is performed, it takes more than that.