Salar
Salar, Doctor
Experience:  int.medicine board eligible, research fellowship cardiology.. working at UTMCK
11855647

How long is Bornholm disease contagious for

How long is Bornholm disease contagious for?
Category: Health
Expert:  Salar replied 8 years ago.
Pleurodyna OR Bornholm disease patient is maximally contagious in first week of illness.
You can find more information about the disease by the following link

http://www.wrongdiagnosis.com/b/bornholm_disease/intro.htm
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Does that mean that I am contagious still through the life cycle of the disease? I have had this recurring for 6 weeks now. Should I go to the extreme of boiling my toothbrush so that I can stop the recurring cycle?
Expert:  Salar replied 8 years ago.
Pleurodyna has tendency to recur at intervals of a few days. The disease is usually self-limiting, terminating in complete recovery . This means that this is the pattern of the disease to reoccur not reinfection. When we use the word contagious that means spread to other people not your self. you can continue the symptomatic treatment with Aspirin, stop oral contraceptives if you are them ( one of the cause) , bed rest.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.

How long should I stop the usage of oral contraceptives for?

Since I am in week 6 of reoccuring, I can assume that I am no longer contagious to other people then? I am on bed rest and anti-inflammatories from a Dr. but was unable to ask questions about the contagiousness of this prior to being released from the hospital.

Expert:  Salar replied 8 years ago.
yous should stay away from OCPs until the symptoms are resolved. then you can discuss the option of restarting with your doctor. for now use an alternative method for contraception like barriers. ..yes you are not likely to be contagious at this time.