Dr. Mark
Dr. Mark, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  U.S. Physician/Surgeon in Neurosurgery

can ankle surgery cause reduced blood flow to the foot or ankle

I have had 2 surgies on my ankle due to a compound facture.
My question is can ankle surgery cause reduced blood flow to the foot or ankle ??.
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Mark replied 8 years ago.
If the major arteries in the leg were injured due to the fracture, then yes, it could cause reduced blood flow to the foot or ankle.

However, the surgery itself should not have caused this.   Great care is taken during any surgery to protect major arteries, and injury to these arteries during surgery would be repaired, as it would be a major complication.

There are multiple smaller arteries that supply the bones of the ankle and foot that are in the area, which are branches of the posterior tibial artery and the peroneal artery. Some of those smaller arteries could have been compromised by the fracture, and cause slightly less blood flow to the ankle.

However, if you had major reduction in blood flow to the foot or ankle, you would have had poor wound healing after surgery, and at it's worst, bone necrosis and possible loss of the foot.