Dr.Mian
Dr.Mian, MD
Experience:  Diplomat American Board of Family Medicine
11474993

I had a positive home pregnancy test. Is there anything I need to do immediately

I have had 2 miscarriages in the past year, both at about the 12 week stage of the pregnancy. My doctor has run a battery of tests to try to pinpoint what is causing me to miscarry. The only thing that we have come up with is that I am positive for MTHFR mutation, but my homocysteine levels are normal. My doctor recommended that I have a hysterosalpingogram done as soon as I started a new menstrual cycle. However, I was late for my period. So, I took a home pregnancy test which showed up positive. Approximately an hour later, I took a 2nd test which showed negative. Approximately another hour later, I took a 3rd test which showed positive. I contacted my doctor to let him know what was going on and he ordered a HCG blood test at my local hospital. I went and had the labs drawn but haven't gotten any results yet. Is there anything that I need to do to keep from possibly miscarrying while I am waiting for my doctor to follow up with me?
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr.Mian replied 6 years ago.

Hello

Wheh was your last menstrual period?

Were you advised to take aspirin because of MTHFR mutation even though homocysteine level was normal?

Will wait for answers.

Thank you

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Yes. When my doctor called me in to go over my results regarding the MTHFR mutation he had mentioned taking one baby aspirin daily, but I was uncertain if he meant all the time or just once I had been diagnosed as being pregnant. So, just to be on the safe side, I started taking the baby aspirin, folic acid, and prenatal vitamins last Thursday immediately after I left his office from receiving this information.

Thank you.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
My last menstrual period started on July 1, but was lighter and shorter than usual.
Expert:  Dr.Mian replied 6 years ago.

Thank you for getting back to me with information.

Based on your last menstrual period, you are about 6 weeks pregnant.

By now urine test should show up positive as urine test shows positive after around 15 days. and blood test shows posiive for beta HCG around 7-10 days after conception.

I am happy that you are taking folic acid as that will reduce homocysteine levels alongwith beneficial effects to keep baby safe from neural tube defects.

MTHFR or Methylene Tetra Hydro Folate Reductase, deficiency leads to elevated homocysteine levels ( above 13.0 micro mol/liter) only if both genes are defected and

in that case blood clotts is a major problem and that Is when aspirin is needed to avoid blood clotts.

But if your homocycteine level was normal i assume it was not both gEnes defect or in other words you do not have homozygoud defect. In that case aspirin is not indicated. It is just my assumption based on the description you have provided. you should confirm it

with your OB/GYN.

I will suggest you to keep taking prenatal vitamins and folic acid specialy vitamin B6 and B12 as these help to reduce homocysteine level.

As for as aspirin is concerned, I would like you to double check with your Ob/Gyn. Aspirin is relatively contraindicated in pregnancy unless serious clotting problem is confirmed.

I wish your hopes will come true witha happy outcome

Dr.Mian, MD
Experience: Diplomat American Board of Family Medicine