Dr. R. Bora
Dr. R. Bora, Doctor
Experience:  14 years experience in the emergency room.
11246089

places on the sides of the back of my throat that look like bumps

I have places on the sides of the back of my throat that look like bumps. they are in round patches and only on the sides. They hurt sometimes, but normally only when my throat is dry. Could this be an STD? What is the cause of this?
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. R. Bora replied 8 years ago.
Dont worry about these at all.

These are nothing but localized collections of lymphoid tissue. The oropharynx (the part you see as the back of your throat) has a large number of these small bumps which are collections of tissue that are there to fight infection and protect you, just like the larger tonsils at the sides.

They may hurt sometimes when they are fighting some infection and are slightly inflammed.

I hope my answer has helped you. Please click on the green 'accept' button below for accepting this answer. Feedback/Bonus will be appreciated.