Susan Ivy
Susan Ivy, Nurse (RN)
Experience:  BSN, MSN, CNS

My husband had a lesion on his heal and had stents put in

Customer Question

My husband had a lesion on his heal and had stents put in the leg artery. After 6 months of treatment using regranex it has finally healed. In the last three days a red area has formed above the site and a small blister has formed and it is continually very painful. He has not worn a shoe on that foot for 11 months. We cannot see a doctor today and I don't know how to treat it.
Category: Health
Expert:  Susan Ivy replied 5 years ago.

HelloCustomer

Thank you for using Justanswer for your concern.

It sounds like you have done a good job except you should wash the area with soap and water (which you may have done). Wounds heal better if exposed to air, although using an antibiotic ointment such as Triple antibiotic or Neosporin ointment can be applied. You will want to place a non-stick dressing over the wound. Leaving the dressing open at night to allow air to the wound, or a light non-stick dressing that will allow air to circulate to the wound is recommended. Most pharmacies sale antibiotic infused dressings and bandaids now. During the day, a nice thick white cotton sock will allow some circulation and make any drainage easily visible.

It is very important that if you see streaks coming from the wound to seek emergency care because this indicates the infection has entered a vessel and could quickly be spread to the circulatory system causing septicemia or septic shock.

You would also want to seek care if he spiked a high temperature.

I hope it stays confined to the wound and you can enjoy the rest of your day. Calling the doctor tomorrow for additional advice or examination is recommended.

If you have questions, please reply.

Take care,

Susan

Susan Ivy, Nurse (RN)
Experience: BSN, MSN, CNS
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I have always washed the area with soap and water and wear rubber gloves. I have already done all that you have suggested. I have not yet seen any streaks to indicate infection but I will watch closely. Thank you.
Expert:  Susan Ivy replied 5 years ago.

Thank you for replying and thank your for accepting the answer. If you have any other questions, I check in every so often (no extra charge).

Susan