Dr. Mark
Dr. Mark, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  U.S. Physician/Surgeon in Neurosurgery
206912

Hi, I hope you can help me. My husband about 2 months ago

Hi, I hope you can help me. My husband about 2 months ago was diagnoised with squamous cell carsinoma, the doctor operated on his tongue where it was contained he said that it was all removed. my husband has been back to him several times the doctor has checked in his throat said he could not see anything. My husband complains of severe headaches, sore thoat, swelling in the neck and can't eat, his whole mannerism has changed could you tell me what this could possibly be or is there more unseen problems to come
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Mark replied 8 years ago.
I think that you are proceeding in the correct manner.

When a person has changes that include headaches and personality changes with a history of cancer, one has to worry about recurrence of the cancer.

As such, the CT scan of the head/neck and MRI scans will help to look for any recurrence of cancer, particularly metastatic lesions in the brain, which can cause headache and changes in personality. In addition, your doctor will be doing the bloodwork to make sure electrolytes in the blood (particularly sodium) are at correct levels.

But the first and most important step are these imaging studies to make sure that the cancer has not recurred.