Dr. Hanish Babu, MD
Dr. Hanish Babu, MD, Dermatologist
Experience:  MBBS; MD (Skin & Sexually Transmitted Diseases)
11532963

bee sting on the back of my right hand (Saturday afternono)..itch

I also had a bee sting on the back of my right hand (Saturday afternono). I removed the stinger, cleaned it and did nothing else. Four hours later it started to itch like crazy and swell up.........took benadryl which did nothing. Woke up off and on all night to ice to diminish the itching. Sunday morning tried: toothpaste, baking soda poultice to no avail and when to Urgent Care. They gave me a shot of steriods and a 6 day supply of oral steriods, suggested zyrtec in morning, gave me hydroyzine for sleeptime, suggested xantac. The benadryl cream worked then last night (I reapplied it three times during the night) and is not effective this morning. I am concerned about taking the course of steriods BUT I still have swelling and significant itching.Also when I woke up this morning my nose was bright red! What is the best way to proceed as my urgent care clinic is closed today due to the holiday!!!!!!!
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Hanish Babu, MD replied 8 years ago.

Hello, greetings!

Seems like your allergic response to the sting is not under control.

Start the oral Steroid immediately. Also take Zyrtec in the morning.

Please do not apply Benadryl cream. This is not suitable and can actually increase the allergy. Not only that it can sensitize your immune system and later, you can get 'allergy' to the allergy drug benadryl if taken orally! So stop both benadryl tab and benadryl cream and follow the doctor's advice.

Regards

I hope my information is helpful. If you have more questions, just ask! I will gladly help, otherwise please click "ACCEPT". Positive FEEDBACK would be appreciated. Thank you.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.

1. I am concerned about taking methylprednisolone after reading about all the difficulty people have had with it either during or after the 6 day course. Is there something I can try other than this that might be helpful?

2. When I awoke this morning my nose was bright red...........is that secondary to the injection? My nose remains red and warm. the itching hand is intermittent---might the zyrtec take are of this?

Thank you in advance.

There is no need to be worried about prednisolone for a few days. It is a wonderful drug. Zyrtec will help, but may not be sufficient for you.

There are side effects for anything under the sun, including the sun, While treating any disease, what we llook at is which is the better(or worst) devil, and choose accordingly. The redness on nose is most probably due to the systemization of your allergy. It does not occur with steroid injection.

Please do not procrastinate. Learn to trust your doctors. We have your best interests in our minds when we prescribe something.

All the best.