Dr. Mark
Dr. Mark, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  U.S. Physician/Surgeon in Neurosurgery
206912

osteoarthritis of both knees progressive with pain and deterioration?

Customer Question

is osteoarthritis of both knees progressive with pain and deterioration?
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Mark replied 8 years ago.
Unfortunately, the degeneration of the cartilage and the joints in osteoarthritis is progressive; e.g. the breakdown of the cartilage which "cushions" the joint, once it occurs, does not improve, and there has been no specific medical treatment that can halt and reverse these changes.

This is an excellent article:

http://www.medicinenet.com/osteoarthritis/article.htm

Treatment is usually directed at the symptoms of the pain, and as a last resort, surgery for knee replacement.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
I've worked 12 years warehouse work and than 24 years as a letter carrier, in your opinion should I be considered dissabled or would working even accelerate my condition to become worst. Should I take the disability at this time and concentrate on nurturing my knees with therapy and rest or push forward with work?
Expert:  Dr. Mark replied 8 years ago.
Certainly doing heavy strenuous work that puts pressure and stress on the knees doesn't help matters, as it would likely further accelerate degeneration of the joints.

However, the determination of "disabled" is one that needs to be determined by your doctor who can examine you and evaluate you - however finding work that doesn't involve as much walking as you do may be better for your knees.