Dr. Nitika
Dr. Nitika, Doctor
Experience:  General Physician experience in Medicine, Integrative, CAM
2598649

I experiance back thigh stiffness on waking up from sleep,

I experiance back thigh stiffness on waking up from sleep, I am on amlor, enalapril and hydrochlorthizide, do any of these drugs have this side effect?
Submitted: 5 years ago via Patientsville.
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Nitika replied 5 years ago.
I need more information regarding your problem.
What's your age and gender?
Are you overweight?
Do you have stiffness in both thighs?
Have you suffered from any back injury, sciatica?
Any other associated symptoms?
Do you feel pain, numbness , tingling , swelling in your back and thighs ?
How long have you suffered?
Any medication for it?
Please reply us so i can help you in every aspect.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Thanks for your response, actually, I am writing the comlaint of my uncle who is 75 years old, on antihypertensive drugs ( Amlor 5mg, Atakand which is a combination of hydrochlorthiazide and enalapril), no history of back trauma or sciatica, experiance these cramps as he describes 2-3 wks ago in the back of his thighs, both sides, especially when he wakes up from sleep, and disappears as he walks for a few seconds......he also feels that his tongue is falling backwards, compromising his breathing, I don't know whether these two conditions are related or not..... I hope the information gives you a clue to my uncle's condition....thanks again...

Amal Al Dabbagh

I think Amlor( amiloride) and Atacand( hydrochlorthiazide and enalapril) can cause shortness of breathing,muscle cramps and back pain with other side effects. So if your uncle has suffered from these symptoms after taking the medications then I advice him to discuss his doctor for any changes in his drugs for Hypertension.
Other possibilties for muscle cramps and stiffness in back and thigh after waking up -
Rheumatoid Arthrits
Osteoarthritis.
So i suggest him to undergo CBC,ESR,RA factor,Spinal X-ray and consult orthopedician for further evaluation and management.
He should do stretching exercises of legs before getting up from bed.
He should do massage on his lower back.
He should apply warm fomentation at bedtime for 15 mins.

I hope it 'll help you.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Hello again, but what about his uppper airway symptoms of suffocation he feels as if his tongue is obstructing his airway wiith severe dryness in his tongue. Is there any relation to the muscle cramps? by the way his serum calcium , urea and electrolytes were normal.....and he is on these medications for a long time and the complaint is only of 2 -3 weeks duration.

Thanks again and hear from you soon

Amal

I think he needs to be seen to his physician if he feels very uncomfortable as it requires physical examination(pulmonary auscultation ).
Sometimes prolonged use of medication can cause dryness of mouth.So
He should drink plenty of water and fluids rich in vitamins.
He should avoid spicy , fried , fatty food, alcohol and caffeine consumption.
He should avoid smoking if he is a smoker.
He should do deep breathing exercises .
He should eat fruits and vegetables rich in water content.

It can't be said clearly any corelation between muscle cramps and airways symptoms.
But as i have told you before about side effects of Amlor and Antacand so I advice him to consult his doctor for any changes in AntiHypertensive drugs.
Please he should undergo various tests to rule out Osteoarthritis or Rheumatoid arthrits for muscle stiffness and cramps in thigh after waking up.
I hope it 'll help you.
Thank you.
Dr. Nitika, Doctor
Experience: General Physician experience in Medicine, Integrative, CAM