chris Hayes
chris Hayes, Doctor
Experience:  md mrcp
10969835

My arrhythmia comes and goes. It can be triggered by bending

Customer Question

My arrhythmia comes and goes. It can be triggered by bending over or stops when lying on my back. Is there hope for me. My heart echo showed no enlargement, etc. I can run hard when in arrhythmia and it sometimes stops later in the night and comes back when I lie down and go to sleep... I am on 300mg of tambocor daily...
Category: Health
Expert:  chris Hayes replied 6 years ago.
<p>Hi do you know the name given to the arrythmia that you have? Different ones have different courses. Can give furthur advice with the name of the arrythmia. Having had a normal ECHO is a good sign. Having put on tambocor is also a good sign as show s that they believe you have normal heart arteries. Hence you are unlikely to have a convetional heart attack. Most arrythmias that you may have in the above case are likely to be low risk of collapse. if the arrythmia is troublesome it is likely that could be ablated - again depending on the type.</p><p>If you have never collapsed and have no family history of sudden death that is also further good signs.</p><p>Certain arrythmias can increase stroke risk however in these the patient is usually given aspirin or warfarin. You are not so I would assume probably not that. Though if the short arrythmias are always very short then risk low so might be. If you get a long episode or one associated with sob/chest pain you should attend the ER</p><p>Please tell me the name of your arrythmia so can give more advse</p>
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

I have AFIB and have never passed out (collapsed/). My concern is that for years while on TAMBOCOR I go in and out - rather on schedule: 12 hours in and 12 hours out of AFIB. Will my heart get enlarged?

I am very nervous and worrisome personality... when I get stressed it always kicks in and I can feel the adrenaline piling up....

12 hours should not be enough to cause any problems. No enlargement or clots. On the other hand first I don't think it will do any harm (and may be of significant benefit) to start on aspirin.
Sometimes there are further runs of unnoticed Afib
If you get this a lot have you considered an AF ablation?
chris Hayes, Doctor
Experience: md mrcp
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Yes... I had ablation 10 years ago in OREGON by a well known electrophisiologist (SP?) Dan Oseran.... the surgery held for about 4 years and then started to come back when I had to move back home to Hawaii... I used to have tachychardia (steady fast rate) before the ablation so at least I dont have that anymore... just have the bops and bumps and irregular beats....

Can we just finish with these last two comments:

1) I heard of the new ablation which goes for the pulmonary vein... however, are there any new proceedures, medication in the future.

2) I have been on Co Q10 and other vitamins that address the mitochondria of the heart which makes sense.

Hi
pulmonary vein isolation is the standard method for AFib ablation now. Techniques get better all the time. 10 years ago it was really in it's infancy. Now widely accepted -still takes hours though. Repeats can increase the success rate.
Medication gets worse from here I'm afraid. Tambicor probably best around. However in early trials -late 70s I think they tried using it for arrythmias after heart attacks and it increased the death rate. Hence no-one will use it after a heart attack. As you get older and the suspicion becomes more that you will have some degree of coronary disease then doctors will be less inclined to keep you on it. Ohters have more side effects.
Not sure there is any good data for the use of Coenzyme Q10. However there is good data that ACE inhibitors ( a type of blood pressure tablet) and statins ( a types of cholesterol tablet) decrease amounts of AFib. Hence if there is any suggestion that either of these are on the highish side of normal I'd treat them
Do take aspirin