Macy RN
Macy RN, RN CHPN
Experience:  RN of 19 years.Experienced in ER, Critical Care, Surgery, Nutrition, Peds,OB/Gyn and Hospice.
5260558

I am a 45-year old white male. For much of this summer, I

Customer Question

I am a 45-year old white male. For much of this summer, I have not been able to sleep through the night, as I have to get up once or twice to urinate. It seems I cannot hold my water longer than three hours or so, even if I am in a deep sleep. Then after I wake up, I have a very hard time falling back asleep. I'm typically getting 4-5 hours sleep each night; and it's not exactly "quality" sleep. Is my problem mainly bladder dysfunction? Should I see a urologist first, then maybe a sleep expert?
Category: Health
Expert:  DR MED MD replied 5 years ago.

Welcome to just answer,

You need to see a urologist first.

Frequent urination seems to your problem.

In most of sleep disorder patients can not fell sleep only.

Please consult a urologist.

Thanks
DR MED MD, Board Certified MD
Experience: MD
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
<p>I understand the need to consult a specialist (Urologist) for my situation. However, I was looking for at least some guidance or suggestions as to what the problem may be; and I didn't get that in the answer. Though I realize there may be a variety of possibilities. But I'd like to know better what those possibilities may be. </p><p> </p><p>For the record, I am 5' 10" tall, medium build, and weigh about 175 lbs. My ideal weight is around 158 - 162 lbs, so I'm working to get back down into that range (I had hit a high of about 185 lbs earlier this year, but I've slimmed down a bit since then). </p><p> </p><p>I had my blood sugar checked in May 2008. It was on the high side of normal (though I don't remember the exact level). </p>
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Relist: I still need help.
The answer was "Consult a urologist." Fine; but I already knew that, and in fact have already scheduled an appointment. All I was looking for was some clue as to what the possible cause of my nighttime need to urinate may be. Perhaps there is a variety of possibilities; I'd like a better idea of what those possibilities may be - i.e. are there three or four "most probable" causes?
Expert:  Macy RN replied 5 years ago.

I am happy to help you today.

Some possible causes of frequent urination can be:

~caffeine

~alcohol

~urinary tract infection

~bladder stones

~diabetes

~bladder tumor

~kidney stones

~enlarged prostate or infection

~hypercalemia

~meds.

These are just a few of the 144 possibilites.

You can see them all here:

http://www.wrongdiagnosis.com/symptoms/frequent_urination/causes.htm

Hope this helps.

Best Wishes,

Macy

Macy RN, RN CHPN
Experience: RN of 19 years.Experienced in ER, Critical Care, Surgery, Nutrition, Peds,OB/Gyn and Hospice.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX step in the right direction. I think I can narrow down somewhat - i.e. discount some possibilities: (1) Caffeine: I only drink in the morning - some coffee or tea; I no longer drink sodas of any kind; (2) Alcohol: I stopped drinking alcohol completely (historically an occasional drinker only) about six months ago when I had a general physical and was told I have "diffuse fatty liver; (3) Diabetes: I've been checked and I'm okay. While my blood sugar level is on the high side, it's still in the normal range. I'm trying to get my blood sugar level down while simultaneously trying to lose weight (I've dropped from 185 lbs to 174 lbs, shooting for 162 lbs). I also have no pain of any kind.
   Again, the frequent urination problem is only at night. I have no other symptoms to speak of, other than having disrupted sleep due to my bladder not wanting to wait any more than about three hours. I'm also trying to minimize fluid intake close to bedtime.
   I almost feel like it's a "chicken-and-egg" situation. Is my full bladder signaling my brain and causing me to wake up (seems that way sometimes), or because I'm older and a lighter sleeper now (perhaps natural melatonin levels are low), I'm more prone to being awaken to go to the bathroom? It's hard to say.
Expert:  Macy RN replied 5 years ago.

Wow congratulations of your weight loss! Great Job!

Getting up 2x a night to go to the bathroom is a little much.

Keep your appt with the the Urologist and get checked since prostate problems can start in the 40s.

If everything checks out ok then we can check into what else could be the cause>

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Alright, fair enough. I'll do a little research on prostate problems to see if any other symptoms link up. Thanks for the quick reply.
Expert:  Macy RN replied 5 years ago.

Here is a website to tell you more about enlarged prostate:

http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/article/000381.htm