Tuvia Breuer
Tuvia Breuer, Doctor
Experience:  Medical Physician
11461476

Why do I always have Chronic Heartburn No matter what I eat

Why do I always have Chronic Heartburn? No matter what I eat or drink, I always have this burning sensation in the middle of my chest.

My name isXXXXX and I am a physician who practices in New York. Let me provide some background information about heartburn and then I will address your question. People experience heartburn ( or GERD) because the gastric fluids enter the esophagus. When food is swallowed it goes from your mouth----> esophagus--> stomach. There is a muscle between the esophagus and stomach whose job is to prevent gastric juices entering the esophagus. When this muscle is not working well, the gastric juice enters your esophagus and you get heartburn. Now the esophageal muscle could be affected by two factors

1. Foods- Certain foods , like chocolate and caffeine, decrease the pressure around the esophageal muscle and prevent the muscle from working properly

2. Structural issues- Even if you eat the right foods,some people's esophageal muscle is weak and the muscle does not always do its "job" This could be very well what is happening to you

Best of luck,

Dr. Breuer

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
So, what should I do as prevention?

There is a group of medications that are used called Proton Pump Inhibitors. Examples include Prilosec and Protonix. This usually significantly decreases, if not eliminate, heartburn.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Okay, I know now where to start. Thank You...
best of luck