Macy RN
Experience:  RN of 19 years.Experienced in ER, Critical Care, Surgery, Nutrition, Peds,OB/Gyn and Hospice.

bowel..anus..there was a trace of blood and now today it has become

I went to the bathroom the other day and had a very intense bowel movement. (thought i was birthing an elephant) Since then i felt a sharp pain in my anus. When i wiped yesterday there was a trace of blood and now today it has become much worse. I'm not sure what course of home treatment I can take for i do not have insurance with my employeer. Any suggestions.
Category: Health
Expert:  Macy RN replied 8 years ago.

Birthing an elephant sounds really painful!

Well it sounds like you might have some tears in your anus from straining.

Some things that could help are wiping with medicated hemorrhoid pads such as tucks.

You can purchase those at any drug store.

Putting an ice back down there wrapped in cloth can help decrease the swelling.

Also soaking in cool bath water.

Using a stool softner. By this I don't mean laxative, just something to soften your stool.

Increase your fiber.

If that doesnt help try drinking prune or pear juice to make sure you have a good bowel movement everyday so it can't get that big again.

If you are having bleeding without a bowel movement or is a lot you do need to see a doctor.

Every time you have a difficult bowel movement will make it worse so softening it will make it better.

It may take a few days to heal.

Hope you feel better soon.