Macy RN
Macy RN, RN CHPN
Experience:  RN of 19 years.Experienced in ER, Critical Care, Surgery, Nutrition, Peds,OB/Gyn and Hospice.
5260558

how to cope with claustrobia with or without medication

about 10 years ago i was locked in a room and unable to get out for about half an hour and it was at that time that I realised i was claustrobic. Since then i have avoided locking any doors in case this happens again and am now about to go on holiday and will be flyng and am getting very concerned about how i will deal with being in an aircraft (unable to open any windows obviously!) I always feel if i can open a window i am okay.
Category: Health
Expert:  Macy RN replied 6 years ago.

HelloCustomer

I understand stand your concern.

You doctor could prescribe your medication to calm your nerves and maybe help you sleep while you are in flight.

I am not sure if the airline would allow it or not but if you could carry a little battery operated fan to keep on you so you could feel air in your face.

I would contact the airline to see if they allow that.

Other long term treatments could include:

Treating phobias, including claustrophobia, relies on psychological methods.

Depending on the person, some of these methods may include:

~Flooding :

this is a form of exposure treatment, where the person is exposed to their phobic trigger until the anxiety attack passes. The realisation that they have encountered their most dreaded object or situation, and come to no actual harm, can be a powerful form of therapy.

~Counter-conditioning -

if the person is far too fearful to attempt flooding, then counter-conditioning can be an option. The person is taught to use specific relaxation and visualisation techniques when experiencing phobia-related anxiety. The phobic trigger is slowly introduced, step-by-step, while the person concentrates on attaining physical and mental relaxation. Eventually, they can confront the source of their fear without feeling anxious. This is known as systematic desensitisation.

~Modelling -

the person watches other people confront the phobic trigger without fear and is encouraged to imitate that confidence.

~Cognitive behaviour therapy (CBT)

- the person is encouraged to confront and change the specific thoughts and attitudes that lead to feelings of fear.

~Medications

- such as tranquillisers and antidepressants. Drugs known as beta blockers may be used to treat the physical symptoms of anxiety, such as a pounding heart.

You can do it!

Best Wishes,

Macy

Macy RN, RN CHPN
Experience: RN of 19 years.Experienced in ER, Critical Care, Surgery, Nutrition, Peds,OB/Gyn and Hospice.