Macy RN
Macy RN, RN CHPN
Experience:  RN of 19 years.Experienced in ER, Critical Care, Surgery, Nutrition, Peds,OB/Gyn and Hospice.
5260558

blood..legs..all the hair down the outside of each leg from the knee

My husband is 36 over-weight and suffers from Bi-Polar which he is taking Lamactil for.He has suffered some coughing up of blood in the last few weeks as well as ulcer-like symptoms. This evening he told me that he has swollen legs and his skin feels tight and all the hair down the outside of each leg from the knee down, has fallen out. This would be noticeable as he is very hirsute. As he works away I'm very concerned for him. Do you have any idea what could be going on? His state of mind at the moment is quite good. He flies an hour to work and home every week.
Category: Health
Expert:  Macy RN replied 6 years ago.

HelloCustomer

I can certainly understand your concern.

He really needs to see a doctor or go to an ER asap before he flies again.

Coughing up blood could be caused by:

~blood clot

~bronchietasis

~cancer

~pneumonia

~pulmonary edema

~TB

plus other things.

He needs to have test such as a

~chest xray

~bronchoscopy

~possible biopsy.

It is possible that he has a bleeding ulcer too that could caused him to spit up blood.

The hair off his legs is indicative of decreased circulation but can also be caused by his pant leg rubbing it off.

I am very concerned for your husband too since he is having swelling with the coughing up blood as it could indicate his lungs filling up with fluid.

Please urge your husband to be seen ASAP.

I know this is scary but he is young and should bounce back quickly.

Best wishes to you and your husband.

Macy

Macy RN, RN CHPN
Experience: RN of 19 years.Experienced in ER, Critical Care, Surgery, Nutrition, Peds,OB/Gyn and Hospice.