Susan Ivy
Susan Ivy, Nurse (RN)
Experience:  BSN, MSN, CNS

I have a vertical indentation on the top of my head that sinks

I have a vertical indentation on the top of my head that sinks in. What could this be?
Category: Health
Expert:  Susan Ivy replied 8 years ago.

Thank you for using Justanswer for your concern.

Is this literally on top of your head underneath your hair?

Or is this on your forehead.

And, to clarify is the direction of this, such that it would split your body in half, inbetween the eyes or is it across such as from ear to ear?

Is this possibly something that you have had since birth?

I'll look for your answer to these questions.

Thanks, Susan

Customer: replied 8 years ago.

It started a few weeks ago. It is located on the top of my head beneath the surface of my scalp. Yesterday, you could lay an entire finger's widthy in the divet. Today it is not as wide and deep. I have had a sinus infection and severe/chronic ear infections. I started the Z-Pak today and ear drops for a ruptured ear drum.

Expert:  Susan Ivy replied 8 years ago.

I can see why your doctor is ordereing the MRI.

One possibility is that every since you were born, your skull suture was not closed all the way. For example, a baby has a skull suture that is open, but as they get close to about 18 months or so, if I remember correctly, it closes. The purpose of the open suture in the skull is for the birth process, so the skull will be flexible enough to get through the birth canal. Closure after that time is important to prevent damage to the gelatenous (like gelatin) brain.

I looked through research and the regular internet and could not find any instance of a suture staying open. There is a condition where they close to early in an infant, that causes damage because there is not quite enough room for the brain to grow, but I could find nothing about this.

I have an article about the sutures on the skull so that you can see if the indentation that you are speaking about appears to be along the line of one of these.

So I'm sorry, no definate answer. Take very good care of yourself, and I hope everything turns out okay.

Good luck,