Macy RN
Experience:  RN of 19 years.Experienced in ER, Critical Care, Surgery, Nutrition, Peds,OB/Gyn and Hospice.

I had a lot of blood work done and a colonoscopy due to constipation.

I had a lot of blood work done and a colonoscopy due to constipation. My thyoid was checked too. That was fine. My tests were fine, but I was wondering if my parathyroid serum would have been checked during the blood test. I also had a transvaginal ultrasound and that was fine too. CT scans showed nothing-I had them with barium drink and IV contrast dye. My blood serum calcium was 10.4 I am not constipated now. I have made some dietary changes, but should I get this parathyroid gland checked any way? I am tired during the early afternoon and feel depressed, and constipation was off and on for three years.
Category: Health
Expert:  Macy RN replied 8 years ago.

The parathyroid gland is different from you thyroid gland.

Thyroid dysfunction could cause tiredness, depression, and constipation as well as dry brittle hair and skin.

To check your thyroid it would be done with a blood test.

You doctor may have checked that, but you would have to ask them to make sure.

The Parathyroid gland maintains a balance between calcium and phoshporus by means of your parathyroid hormone.

If it wasn't working properly your blood calcium level would have been really high or low and not in the normal range ( which it was).

To check your parathyroid glands function your doctor would order a 24 hour urine collection.

I would be more concerned with your thyroid and if it hasn't been checked your doctor can easily check it for you with a simple blood test.

Let me know if you have more questions.

Take care,