Macy RN
Experience:  RN of 19 years.Experienced in ER, Critical Care, Surgery, Nutrition, Peds,OB/Gyn and Hospice.

For the past several months I have been awaken 2-3 times a

For the past several months I have been awaken 2-3 times a night with severe back pain, always on my left side, where my kidney is located. I always have to urinate when I get up, too. At first I thought it was my mattress (too hard) because as soon as I get out of bed the pain stops. I never have pain during the day. I don't have any other symptoms other than my urine is a little dark (no blood, though) and has more odor than in the past (before this pain started). I'm a little incontinent but I'm choking that up to age (I'm a 43 year old white woman). I don't have health insurance and am afraid such vague symptoms will require many tests to diagnose a problem. Any advice is welcome.

I am happy to help.

It sounds like you might have a kidney infection or kidney stone.

Incontinence can also be caused by infection.

A doctor can start with a simple urine test and if positive will just require an antibiotic.

You do need to be seen though so it can be treated before it worsens.

Best Wishes,