Macy RN
Experience:  RN of 19 years.Experienced in ER, Critical Care, Surgery, Nutrition, Peds,OB/Gyn and Hospice.

routine blood work..I noticed my blood serum calcium level was 10.4

I had routine blood work done, and I noticed my blood serum calcium level was 10.4. Is that on the high side? My doctor did not even mention it. I have a tendency to make small kidney stones, about 3-5 mm, and sometimes, I get constipated. I drink a lot of water every day 60-80 ounces, and do not drink soda. I do not abuse alcohol. In spite of all this, I still make these stones and get constipated-the constipation is infrequent-mostly during menses. Could you give me some advice? Is this something serious that I need to pursue? Thank you
Category: Health
Expert:  Macy RN replied 8 years ago.

I am happy to help you today.

The normal range for Calcium in your blood is 8.5-10.5mg/dl.

Your calcium level is right in the normal range.

It sounds like you are taking good care of your self.

Having your calcium on the high end of normal is actually good since you are prone to stones.

When your body is low on calcium it will leach it from your bones and that is when stones can form.

With regards XXXXX XXXXX constiptaion with your periods that can be normal and some women even experience diarrhea.

Try to increase your fiber intake to 35 grams per day to help with your constipation.

Between that and your great water intake you should notice a difference.

Make sure you are gettting at least 400mg of magnesium per day to help your body utilize your calcium better, and it will also help relax your bowel.

Let me know if you have further questions.

Best Wishes,