Dr. Saha
Dr. Saha, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  35 years of experience
8227957

My husband has a extremely painful lump in his groin area,

My husband has a extremely painful lump in his groin area, and he almost just passed out. What could this be?
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Saha replied 6 years ago.

I would like to get some more detail information about your problem,

How long the problem is there ? What is its size ? Has the pain started suddenly ? Was the lump there before?

Is there any abdominal pain ? How is stool & urine?

Waiting for your reply.

Thank you.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Thank you for your quick response! He said it came once before a long time ago- ten years or so, then went away within about a week. Now it is back, about the size of a large grape... but it's not sticking out far, it's under the skin and you have to feel for it. Yet it's causing pain pretty suddenly...since yesterday. No abdominal pain otherwise...stool and urine ok...a bit constipated he says. ThanksSmile
Expert:  Dr. Saha replied 6 years ago.
Since yesterday it has become painful.
Since how long he could feel it?
Does it change any size on lying down or coughing?
What is its consistency?
Can you describe the site in more detail?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
For about a day. Does not change in size. Feels like a lump under the skin. Round, soft, painful to the touch...You can't see it from just looking.
Expert:  Dr. Saha replied 6 years ago.
Thank you for all the information.

From your description it appears that it is likely to be an inflammed lymph gland.

The cause of inflammation may be any infection or trauma to it.

In case of inflammation analgesic antiinflammatory drug like motrin after food if there is no contraindication will reduce pain. In some cases antibiotics will be necessary after testing by doctor.

The other possibility is any obstructed femoral hernia,

Obstructed hernia is an emergency which needs to be relieved asap .

He needs a consultation of doctor to differentiate between them.

I hope this information will be helpful.

Please ask if you need any clarification.

Thank you.

Dr. Saha, Doctor (MD)
Experience: 35 years of experience