Dr. Hanish Babu, MD
Dr. Hanish Babu, MD, Dermatologist
Experience:  MBBS; MD (Skin & Sexually Transmitted Diseases)
11532963

I have hard wart like bumps on my lower inner calf. I have

Customer Question

I have hard wart like bumps on my lower inner calf. I have tried to 'burst' these bumps because I thought they were hard blisters, but it did not work and hurt a little. I tried wart medicine and that did not work. Can anyone tell me what they think it could be and if they have experienced anything like it. They are starting to spread, and thats why I thought they were warts because I could be spreading them due to my razor. Any ideas or suggestions. I have an appointment with the dr. but not for another month. Thanks
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Hanish Babu, MD replied 6 years ago.

Thank you for asking your question on Just Answer. By the way, it would help me to know:

1. How long have you had these bumps?
  2. Are they itchy?
  3. Are they arising from hair follicles or independent of hair follicles?
  4. If you can take a clear close up photo of the lesion and insert in your reply by pressing the green tree above your answer box, it will help in making the diagnosis easier.
  5. Do you use any hair removing creams or waxing, in addition to shaving?

Thank you again for trusting us with your problem. Please reply as soon as possible so that I can finish answering your question.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I have had these bumps on and off for years. They are not itcy, sometimes they get sore and red because my thighs rub together and the friction irritates them and increases the amount of breakouts. I do not know if they are arising from hair follicles or independent of hair follicles, how can I tell the difference. I do not have access right now to take a picture and send it to you. Here is a different, maybe more helpful description. My inner thighs are red and I have some pimple breakouts and other bumps from unfer the skin that are soft, some hard, and they eventually open up, or they have in the past, and went away. However they are not attractive and I would like to treat them and prevent future breakouts. Due to this happening in the past, I have a skin discoloration from the scarring of these breakouts and bumps. I am also overweight if that helps you with your diagnosis at all. I do not use hair removing creams or waxing, just shaving, but I do not shave over the bumps when I have a breakout. I hope this helps. Thank you

Thanks for the input. You most probably have Chronic Folliculitis or sometimes known as epilating folliculitis. This is a chronic infection of the hair follicles and is often infected with Staph. Majority of the bumps are related to hair follicles (easy to discern as there will be a hair or hair opening within the bumps), though some may occur independent of the follicles.

The infection has a habit of 'jumping' from hair follicle to hair follicle and removing the infected hairs is part of the treatment.

Till you see your doctor you can try these:

1. Avoid contact with dust, oil, or salty water
  2. Use cotton stockings
  3. Apply Mupirocin cream once daily after bath
  4. While applying the cream, pluck of all affected hairs.This enhances the healing process.
  5. Take a multivitamin supplement, if you are not already.
  6. If still persistent, you may require prescription antibiotics for a few months.

Hopefully you have found this information helpful. If so, please remember to click the green accept button so that I may get credit for my work. Your taking the time to leave positive feedback would also be greatly appreciated. Of course, bonuses are the ultimate reward and considered very special indeed! Thank you.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

I combined two problems by accident. I asked 2 questions and got confused on which response I received. The initial question I had was not answered or helped. I have wart like bumps on my lower calves. They can be cysts or not, I tried wart removal and it did not work, they are not itcy at all, I only shave and I do not know how to tell about the hair follicles in this instance. There are 3 bumps about 1/2 in in diamater and other bumps forming on my leg of pin head size and they can grow to a bigger size but have not yet so far. I did go into a pool yesterday and when I came out, they turned very white, but then back to normal skin color.

Yes, now you are confusing!You told these bumps come and go. Did you mean only the thigh bumps? Warts usually remains as they are they don't come and go often. They do turn white or macerated after swimming.

So, you have two problems:

1. Chronic folliculitis of thighs

2. Warts on the calf. Just applying wart medicines may not rid of them. You may require Cryo or electro cautery to remove them. Some wart medications, if not applied properly and the lesions not paired(dried tissue scraped off) periodically, can actually help in spreading the lesions.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Sorry for the confusion, no the bumps on my legs do not come and go, I just got them recently. Is it safe to try to file the top layer of these 'warts' and then apply over the counter wart removal to another bump I have not treated yet. I only applied wart removal on 2 bumps and had no luck so far. Once again sorry for the confusion-

It is better to confirm the diagnosis before starting the pairing. There are other similar looking skin lesions, like lichen planus, hypertrophic psoriasis, verrucous epidermal nevus, basal cell carcinoma, solar keratosis(sun exposed areas), seborrheic keratosis(face and upper torso usually) etc which may mimic a wart. If there is a delay in seeing a dermatologist, send me a close up clear pic to confirm diagnosis.

What the wart removing solutions does us: Dry up the superficial portion. This has to be paired off every 3rd day then the solution reapplied. As these solutions are acidic, you have to be careful not to damage the surrounding skin by applying a coat of vaseline around before applying the solution to the wart.

I hope my information is helpful. If you have more questions, just ask! I will gladly help, otherwise please click "ACCEPT". Positive FEEDBACK and any bonus would be appreciated. Thank you.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

There is some time until my appointment, so I took two pictures as best as I can, these bumps are set on my lower inner left cald not too far up from my ankle. You will also see smaller darker bumps, these are newer ones that I am assuming can get as big as the ones in the picture. I also have 3 higher up on the same leg, and a small one on my right inner leg. I am having trouble uploading the pictures, is there an email I can send them to you or another way of sending them to you?

justAnswer does not allow personal emails. The pics may not be getting uploaded due to the size. Reduce the size using a picture editor like Microsoft Picture manager.(Choose edit pictures>resize>predefined>web large>save to a folder on your desktop). Then upload using the green tree image above.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

graphic Here is the first picture I took, and you can see the 3 big whiter bumps and other dark spots around them. These dark spot are smaller bumps that don't seem to be growing.

graphic Here is the same area just a slightly different angle.

These are the best I could do for pictures. I hope it helps

Thanks for the photos. They are warts, the flat variety.

1. Apply anti-viral and keratolytic combination wart solution like Verrumal solution on the warts for 4 days, taking care not to damage the surrounding skin.(You can apply a coating of vaseline in the surrounding area before applying the wart solution.
  2. Every 4th day, pair off the top with a number 10 surgical blade till bleeding points appear. (Press on the lesion for 3 minutes to stop bleeding
  3. Reapply for another 4 days, pair again
  4. Continue this till the lesions disappear.
  5. Any new lesions appearing should be dealt with at the earliest.
  6. If, after, 5-6 pairings, the lesions are still coming back, you may require cryo freezing or electrocautery by a dermatologist.

-----------------------------------------------------------

If you found this helpful, please click ACCEPT so I can receive credit for my work. Please take a sec to leave POSITIVE feedback. Of course, bonuses are the ultimate reward and considered very special indeed! Thank you.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
What is verrumal solution and where can I buy it? Where can I buy a surgical blade?
Expert:  Dr. Hanish Babu, MD replied 5 years ago.

Hello!

Verrumal solution is a wart solution that contains antiviral (5-Flurouracil 0.5%); and keratolytic(Salicylic acid 10%). You will get it from pharmacies. The company producing it is Hermal. If this is not available in your area, you can ask for a similar product. If the antiviral-keratolytic combination is not available, you can use normal wart solutions containing Salicylic acid and lactic acid. They are not as effective as verrumal, but will do to get rid of the warts a little bit slowly.

Surgical blades is available in big pharmacies or surgical instruments shops.

If all these sound cumbersome, go to a dermatologist and have them removed with electrocautery.

Regards.

----------------------------

Hopefully you have found this information helpful. If so, please remember to click the green ACCEPT button so that I may get credit for my work. Your taking the time to leave positive FEEDBACK would also be greatly appreciated. Of course, bonuses are the ultimate reward and considered very special indeed! Thank you.