Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  MBBS, MS (General Surgery), Fellowship in Sports Medicine
5625079

I have a swollen right leg, from the hip down. My leg is twice

I have a swollen right leg, from the hip down. My leg is twice the size of my left leg. This condition has been with me for several months. There is a great amount of pain in my right leg. I have seen my doctor and he says that there is nothing he can do, my doctor instructed me to wear a full lenght denture stocking, which I have been wearing for the last five days with no visable results and no decrease in pain. I am 76 years old female and in good health.
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Arun Phophalia replied 6 years ago.

Greetings.

What are the investigations done for this? What has been the diagnosis proposed by your doctor?

Dr. Arun

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
She has had a ultra sound on her legs, they said the veins on the leg is crushed and can not be opened and fixed. She went to an interist and he said nothing can be done. They also did blood work. The leg is hard.

The Stocking can take around two weeks to show results in so long standing and severe swelling and with the substantial venous insufficiency associated with it. Compression is a well-documented, effective method to reduce interstitial edema associated with venous incompetence. The other measures which can be effective are;

1) Pneumatic intermittent compression: usually done at physical therapy and rehabilitation centers. One needs to visit the center.

2) Intermittent elevation of the limb.

3) Avoidance of prolonged standing or walking. Avoiding sitting on chair for long durations in a single stretch, which compresses the femoral vein in the groin and hamper the venous drainage.

4) Physical therapy; straight leg raising while lying down.

5) Electrical stimulation to facilitate the blood flow.

6) Raising the foot end of the bed by six inches.

Please feel free for your follow up questions.

Dr. Arun

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

HI

She fell walking up the front entrance which is one step last early Novemenber. She is a short heavy set wormen.

At the beginning there was no swelling just pain. She didn't go to the doctor for the longest time but when she did they recommended she wea a stocking that just came to below the knee for the longest time. I feel since she has been wearing the stocking it has gotten worse because wear the stocking ended below the knee it was more swollen than before. She doesn't do much exercise, she sits alot. She isn't going to therapy and hasn't.

My father-in-law made another appointment due to the injury was getting worse and that is when they asked her to stop using the smaller stocking.

More complications are arising, not sure if these have always been there. 1. loss of appetite. 2/ pain in the opposite leg 3. lower back pain 4. numbness in the feet

She has had the new longer stocking for 5 days and that is when these new issues have arised. She has also been elevating her leg on a pillow at night and since then she has also had the numbness in both feet.

Do you reccomend any other test? ex: MRI

The stocking should be worn only when she is standing or walking otherwise they aggravate the swelling (if one wear them during sitting or sleeping). With her newer symptoms, MRI of the back, venography of the lower limbs and ultrasound of the abdomen and pelvis are essential. She needs to be more active, and loose weight in the long term. Exercises is important for facilitating to reduce the swelling.

Dr. Arun

Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor (MD)
Experience: MBBS, MS (General Surgery), Fellowship in Sports Medicine