Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  MBBS, MS (General Surgery), Fellowship in Sports Medicine

bowels..There is a pressure in he lower back area near the coccyx

I am having a problem moving my bowels. There is a pressure in he lower back area near the cocyx. I am drinking fluids, eating ruffage. I can pass gas. This has been going on for a couple of weeks. I have some chiropractic adjustments which has helped but the situation returns. This is not usual for me and I'm wondering if there something more going on. Thanks.
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Arun Phophalia replied 8 years ago.

Are you on any kind of medications? Do you have any history of abdominal surgery? Do you have bloating, distension, gas formation?Are you diabetic? Do you feel nausea anytime? Any loss of appetite?

Dr. Arun

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
I am on Toprol and Zantac. The only abdominal area surgery was for fibroids in the 1990's. There is no bloating, distention. Some slight gas. I am not a diabetic. No nausea or loss of appetite. Thanks...

A change in bowel habits call for the following:

1) A physician exam

2) Proctoscopy; can be done in office

3) Sigmoidoscopy and colonoscopy; looking in the intestines by camera and scope

4) Barium meal studies

Following diagnostic considerations are in the review; diverticulosis, polyps, other growths like cancer, irritable bowel syndrome etc.

With an history of abdominal surgery, subacute intestinal obstruction may be considered which is very common because of the post surgery adhesions. Another not so common condition is rectal wall prolapse.

If the above investigations are normal, usually intestinal motility regulators, laxatives, high fiber diet is suggested. If these measures are not helpful, further investigations like colonic transit time and defecography may be pursued.

You need to consult a gastroenterologist for an evaluation and further management.

Please feel free for your follow up questions.

Dr. Arun