Dr.Mian, MD
Experience:  Diplomat American Board of Family Medicine

my recent platelet blood count taken on 8-8-08 was 131 from

my recent platelet blood count taken on 8-8-08 was 131 from a reference range of 150-400. A cmp,comp metabolic panel was taken. my glucose was 104, all other BLOOD TESTS were normal.                                        ;                                            QUESTION: CAN YOU PLEASE LET ME KNOW WHAT THE LOW NUMBER ON MY PLATELET COUNT MEANS MEDICALLY?
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr.Mian replied 8 years ago.
King greetings and thank you for using JustAnswer.
Normal platelet count is between 150,000 to 450,000 in healthy adults.
Platelet count of 131,000 is on lower side but it is not abnormally low . It poses risk of bleeding only when most of the time platelet count goes lower than 20,000 and thast when you can get bruises or tiny red spots on ankles etc.
There are are so many reasons for lower number of platelet count.
Blood test is done by computer anlyser which can read clupm of platelets as one and if repeat test gives same number, then it is more reliable. I mean to say it may just be a labortaory analyser reading.

There are certain drugs those can lower platelet count.
You can review side effects of all the drugs you are taking on and see if any is responsible for that.

Also with advancement in age, it is not unusual to have such lower readings on blood tests.
So Please consult with your local physician to repeat the test and manual blood test( not with computer).