Dr.Jason,MD-OB/GYN
Dr.Jason,MD-OB/GYN, Doctor
Experience:  Primary Care Doctor . Board Certified 12 years, OB/GYN

my chest..I cant get enough air to my lungs) for few days..GP..back

I have tightness and pain in my chest and I am short of breath (feeling like I can't get enough air to my lungs) for few days now, feel dizzy, anxious, have chills without fever but feeling feverish. I went to see my GP who said it is bronchitis so she gave me inhaler which is not helping me at all. I went back and been told that it may be anxiety. I really don't know what to do as I really feel scared that it could lead to heart attack. I am only 26 years old. I went through a lot of stressful situations for the past year - could it be anxiety? Can you help please?
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr.Jason,MD-OB/GYN replied 5 years ago.

Welcome to Just Answer

I need to get some additional information from you.

When you went to your GP, was a chest X-ray done?

Were any tests done to rule out conditions of the heart?

Can you describe the pain in your chest? Is it a crushing feeling like someone is stepping on your chest, ;or does it just feel tight? Does it come and go? Is it only when you take deep breaths? On a scale of 1-10, how bad is the pain, 10 being worst.

Did your GP prescribe any other medications, or simply an inhaler?

Were blood tests run?

I will get back with you as quickly as possible, as soon as I receive your response.. Thank you

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Dear Dr. Jason,

I didn't have any X-ray, I went to my GP last week and the only test she has done was that I was breathing inside a small tube and that's how she she found out that I have bronchitis and she prescribe me only inhaler. But strangely enough when I went back there 3 days after that I have seen different GP and she said that it could be anxiety and she didn't give me any tests. The only advice I got was to take plenty of rest.

No tests done with the heart.

My chest feel very tight - it feels like someone is applying a pressure on them. It comes and goes - i doesn't hurt when I take deep breaths. The scale can be 5/6.

Thank you Doctor

Thank you for the additional inforamtion.

While it is possible that anxiety is the cause of some of your symptoms, anxiety should NOT be ruled as the cause until everything else has been ruled out. The pain you describe in your chest could very well be related to a heart problem, and this needs to be fully evaluated to be safe. It could also simply be from your bronchitis, but evaluation is needed. Furthermore, if you do have bronchitis, that won't go away, it needs to be ruled that it is not caused by a bacteria. Usually bronchitis is caused by a virus, and an antibiotic doesn't work, however in small percentages, it is a bacterial infection, and an antibiotic may be needed. You need a full evaluation, blood work, and X-rays. Also it is VERY important to rule a heart problem out! I highly suggest you seek a second opinion, or go to the hospital so proper testing can be done. Thank you.

Dr.Jason,MD-OB/GYN, Doctor
Experience: Primary Care Doctor . Board Certified 12 years, OB/GYN