Susan Ivy
Susan Ivy, Nurse (RN)
Experience:  BSN, MSN, CNS
8413180

I have been diagnosed with Celulitus in my legs. My legs are

Customer Question

I have been diagnosed with Celulitus in my legs. My legs are so swollen they become shiny, scaly and now have yellowish puss draining from my skin. I was just on anti-biotics a month ago, but now it's back again. Any ideas why? I'm supposed to see a skin specialist soon, so hopefully I can get some answers. What causes Celulitus anyway? I don't currently have any health concerns. I'm on methadone and anti-depressants.
Category: Health
Expert:  Susan Ivy replied 8 years ago.

HelloCustomer

Thank you for using Justanswer for your question.

Cellulitis is an infection in the skin and can be difficult to heal. Especially if the bacteria is a strain that is resistant to antibiotics.

Cellulitis can start from a large wound, or even a mosquito bite that gets infection and sometimes from a small wound that isn't even visible anymore.

Some things that well increase the likely hood of cellulitis is if circulation is poor to the area, if there is obesity, if there is diabetes (the sugar feeds the bacteria), and low immunity.

But I have seen cellulitis in healty young people, with none of these problems.

It is very important to keep this from getting into the bone, which is more likely to happen if the cellulitis is near a joint.

It is important to drink plenty of fluids, exercise as much as possible (unless advised differently) to help with circulation to the area. You may also apply warm soaks or soak in the bathtub or hottub, just remember to remove the heat source after 20 minutes so that there is no damage from over heating the skin. You must be very, very careful with the heat. You may not be as sensitive to heat if the infection is spread over a large area or you are on pain medications.

Here is an in depth article on cellulitis from Medicinenet. Click HERE

I believe this answers your question, but if not please feel free to ask more on the reply.

Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX wish you a speedy recovery,

Susan