Susan Ivy
Susan Ivy, Nurse (RN)
Experience:  BSN, MSN, CNS

Why does my husbands breathe and body smell like burnt garlic

Why does my husbands breathe and body smell like burnt garlic after a night of binging on beer? He drinks Bud or malt , his breathe stinks up the bedroom, and he smells bad all the next day. he drinks about 18 beers.
Category: Health
Expert:  Susan Ivy replied 8 years ago.

Hello Karisue,

Thank you for using Justanswer for your question.

I suppose you would have thought of it already if he had been eating garlic or not?

A common breath smell for those that drink alcohol is present, but it is usually described as a sweet alcohol smell. But with this much alcohol it might take on a bit of a different odor.

This is very commonly apparent in individuals that are consuming alcoholic beverages, especially in excess and ER health care workers use their sense of smell to tell if an individual has been drinking or not when they come in unconscious. Another cause of a sweetish alcohol type breath is called ketoacidosis and this occurs in diabetics that have a very high blood sugar, and are in fact close to becoming comatose.

Your husbands drinking problem is severe and perhaps this is even an indication of a liver problem. Have your thoughts on this, his drinking, been expressed to him? I would imagine drinking this much is damaging his system quite severly and must be very hard on you.

What else can I help you with?

Please let me know,