Susan Ivy
Susan Ivy, Nurse (RN)
Experience:  BSN, MSN, CNS
8413180

My hands tend to feel tight and stiff. I have just noticed

Customer Question

My hands tend to feel tight and stiff. I have just noticed that the middle finger on my right hand at the joint tends to dislocate and relocate as I bend, especially in the morning. Could this be arthritis?
Category: Health
Expert:  Susan Ivy replied 8 years ago.

HelloCustomer

Thank you for choosing Justanswer for your question.

This could indicate arthritis. Do you have similar tightness and stiffness in your left hand? Any other symptoms or conditions?

Susan

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
My left and also feels tight and stiff in the morning and a little throughout the day. I have noticed that my left knee is becoming weak and will kind of give out quickly, but then recovers quickly, this just started a few days ago.
Expert:  Susan Ivy replied 8 years ago.

Hello again.

Most likely this would be Osteoarthritis, which commonly occurs after age 40. It sounds like you have a mild case. With treatment it is likely you can treat this and prevent severe damage to your joints.

Another type of arthritis,Rheumatoid arthritis, is due to auto immune reactions, and there is usually other symptoms such as fatigue, malaise and occassional fever, and it usually begins in one's late teens or twenties.

Here is additional information on Osteoarthritis and treatment recommendations. Of course, no one could diagnose you without seeing you and running test to rule out other conditions. You will want to see your doctor at some point to get his/her recommendations. The information I am giving you is standard recognized symptoms and treatment. I'll also give you a link to the Mayo Clinic site on Arthritis in case you are interested in learning more. Click HERE

Osteoarthritis - Is caused in part by age related wear and tear. There is joint pain, stiffness, tenderness in joint and around joint, worse with excercise, difficulty moving at times, slow movement, morning stiffness. Joint stiffness does improve with moderate movement. Crunching feeling or sound, grating sensations, joints can be swollen, joints can lock. Worse in cold or damp weather and after inactivity. There can also be fever, wt loss, fatigue, but less often than in Rheumatoid arthritis. Osteoarthritis usually affects these areas - knees, hip pain, spinal joint pain, toes, fingers, and ankles, but does not have to affect all of them. Sometimes osteoarthritis is called degenerative joint disease (DJD) but it is the same thing. Osteoarthritis is caused by the deterioration of the joint cartilage and formation of reactive new bone at the margins and suchondral areas of the joints. This degeneration occurs from a breakdown of chondrocytes, usually in the hips and knees. Incidence occurs after age 40 and progresses with advancing age. Common symptoms are deep aching joint pain after exercise or weight bearing relieved by rest. Stiffining in the morning or after exercise that is relieved by rest. Aching occurs during weather changes. Can be "grating" of the joint during motion. It increases with poor posture, obesity, and occupational stress. X-rays help confirm diagnosis but may be normal in the early stages. When osteoarthritis is seen on X-ray there is narrowing of joint space, cyst like bony deposits, among other things in more advanced cases. There can be heberdon's nodes and bouchards nodes on the fingers in some cases. There is no specific laboratory test that will tell you that osteoarthritis is present.

Treatment:

NSAIDS, like aspirin and Ibuprophen; Cox-2 inhibitors, corticosteroid injection, glucosamine and chondroitin sulfate (known to decrease pain, studies have not shown
that it causes regrowth of cartilage, but many people in the alternative health industry believe that it does). Other treatment includes stabilization of the joint when necessary, stress relief, massage, moist heat, prevent undue stress on the joints, adequate rest after exercise, but you also need to exercise. Pace daily activities, always at least perform range of motion exercises with the affected joints, and a firm mattress or bed board can help back symptoms.

I hope this give you an understanding of the potential problems.

If you have questions, don't hesitate to reply.

Take care,

Susan