Kolana, Doctor
Experience:  General medical doctor (Bachelor of Medicine/Surgery) & Bachelor of Med Science (research)

I have a strong chemical smell in both my stool and urine

Category: Health
Expert:  Kolana replied 8 years ago.
There can be dietary, metabolic and infectious reasons for your strong chemical smell.

In order to diagnosis more information is need: eg
~do you have pain passing urine or passing stools (eg urinary tract infection, rectal infection, trauma),
~any blood in urine or stools (UTI or kidney stones and secondary infection, intestinal infection),
~ any change in stool consistency or color (variety of conditions associated with this problem including grey stools associated with hepatitis, gallbladder dysfn so you can't absorb fats, gastric bleeds lead to tarry black smelly stools) etc etc )
~bacteria overgrowth. Some bacteria produce hydrogen sulfide which has a characteristic rotten egg smell (horrible stench). Ammonia smelling stools can be attributed to bacteria overgrowth or nitrogen being insufficiently digested or improperly metabolized.
~have you unprotected intercourse recently (eg genital infections like trichomoniasis)
~ is there a color change (eg green can indicate asparagus over consumption),
~are you taking a lot of Vitamin B6,
~do you have any congenital conditions that can lead to smelly urine (eg maple syrup urine disease that normally gets diagnosed very young)
~do you have diabetes, especially type I which can lead to diabetic ketoacidosis
~do you drink a lot of alcohol (liver failure)
~rectal fistula (which is when there is an abnormal connection between rectum and bladder and is associated with other conditions eg crohns disease)

These are all the major reasons but there can be others I have not listed depending on your full history.

You will really need to get an MSU and culture (urine test) at your local physician to check for infections, ketosis, or sugar in your urine, and so forth
+ stool sample to check for blood and infections

you can also get home testing urine kits from your pharmacy or online if you can't get an appointment immediately.

and check to see what meds, drugs and food are you currently taking in large quantities or frequently that could affect urine/stool odor.

Drink a lot of water in the mean time and if it doesn't get better it means a trip to the local GP to get a proper specimen of both for analysis +/- blood tests, as you could very have a condition that you did not know about.