Dr. R. Bora
Dr. R. Bora, Doctor
Experience:  14 years experience in the emergency room.
11246089

My cholesterol is 261, my HDL is 48 and my LDL is 168, so ratio

Customer Question

My cholesterol is 261, my HDL is 48 and my LDL is 168, so ratio is 5.4. I also have AST 34, ALT 57 and GGT 98. I am a 48 male, 195 lbs and otherwise good health and exercise. Blood pressure of 120/72. I am concerned as I was recently refused life insurance and wanted to know if there is anything I can do to lower my AST,ALT,GGT and LDL?
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. R. Bora replied 6 years ago.
The following four steps are important for you in lowering your cholesterol levels:
Medicines - medicines are a must for you at this level. You should consult your doctor for medicines to lower cholesterol as some very effective medicines are available for this.
Diet - take a heart health diet.
Exercise - regular exercise is perhaps the most important.
Weight control - reducing weight is vital.

For some general tips on this, please check up the following link from the American Heart association - follow up the links at the bottom of the page.
http://www.americanheart.org/presenter.jhtml?identifier=183

AST and ALT are related to the liver, your present levels although slightly high are not too high. To lower liver enzymes, you need to reduce or stop alcohol and also follow the opther steps for lowering cholesterol as described above.

I hope my answer has helped you. Please click on the green 'accept' button below for accepting this answer. Feedback/Bonus will be appreciated.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Hi
Thanks for the information.
I have taken a diet check, as my wife was a nurse. I rarely eat red me, I mainly eat either chicken or fish. My fibre intake is 30+grams per day. I don't smoke and never have and I might drink 3-5 units per week at most.
I am 5ft 9in and weigh 190lbs, so not really overweight and I take regular exercise.
I have been a pilot for years and have had regular cholesterol readings which have always been around 5.5-6.0 although I have only recently discovered my HDL and LDL levels.
The bad news is both my parents died (mom 49 and dad 60) of heart related problems, the main reason I exercise and eat correctly. Both were heavy smokers and poor fried food diets with little cardio exercise.
So I am thnk I am doing all I can without medication. But it was the AST, ALT and GGT that concerned me?
AST, ALT and GGT are liver markers. There is nothing positive that you can do about this, like medicines in the case of cholesterol. What you can do is to avoid stressing the liver further by avoiding hepatotoxic substances like alcohol, some medicines, etc. You should ask your doctor about the kind of medicines that you need to avoid.

Except for this, I am afraid there are no known medicines that are proven to help lower the liver enzyme levels.