Dr. R. Bora
Dr. R. Bora, Doctor
Experience:  14 years experience in the emergency room.

Why is my stomach hard and bloated?

Why is my stomach hard and bloated like I was pregnant? I am flatulating a lot and have extreme pain in my abdomen.

How long have you had this?
Any diarrhoea?
I am available online to help you further with this info.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.

It has been going on for a couple months. No diarrhoea. I get very bloated and have a lot of stomach pains. I am constipated a lot and I also flatulate all of the time. The pain slowly goes away as I release the gas. The reason I am contacting you is because my stomach gets really bloated and I am in a lot of pain.

Such bloating and flatulence could be caused by many factors.
From your symptoms, Irritable Bowel Syndrome is a possibility for you. Hypothyroidism can also cause such symptoms. Other causes that need to be ruled out are intestinal adhesions, intestinal obstruction, etc. You should consult a doctor to have these conditions ruled out. Besides these conditions, diet is the most important factor for high flatulence. You will need to avoid foods like beans, lettuce, turnip, cabbages, excessive coffee and cold drinks, etc. If you are not having any other diseases, then you should take the following steps:

Dietary changes: Avoid foods causing flatulence.
Medications: Two drugs, Asmebeverine (Colofac) and Alverine (Spasmonal) are available over the counter. You should take one tab - twice daily of either of these drugs.

Gelusil is an antacid that contains a substance called simethicone. This is capable of absorbing gases from the stomach. Take 3 tsf thrice daily.

You can look up here for more info: