Susan Ivy
Susan Ivy, Nurse (RN)
Experience:  BSN, MSN, CNS
8413180

How can I get rid of sleep apnea. I do not like to breathing machine.

No Comment Added
Category: Health
Expert:  Susan Ivy replied 6 years ago.

HelloCustomer

Thank you for using Justanswer for your question.

There are three kinds of Sleep Apnea. Obstructive Sleep Apnea, Central Sleep Apnea, and a mixed type of sleep apnea. Obstructive is the most common type, and also the type that is most likely to resolve.

Regarding things to do to stop the obstructive sleep apnea, it will depend on what is causing your sleep apnea.

Some people have anatomical differences, such as a smaller airway, large tonsils or adenoids or nasal blockages. Sometimes a person's throat relaxes too much causing the sleep apnea due to alcohol or sleeping medication. Smoking and second hand smoke can decrease the airways too. Some people develop sleep apnea after gaining too much weight. There are some people that have sleep apnea only if they sleep on their back.

Of course for those with alcohol or drug use, stopping the use of the sedating substances can stop the over relaxation of the throat muscles.

For those who only have problems sleeping on their back they can learn methods to help them sleep on their side such a large pillow to support them on their side.

Weight loss helps many people. If the individual is not having positive response to the C-pap and are too tired to exercise this can be a problem and other methods may have to be used first, before the individual can begin to exercise.

For some people learning about sleep hygiene techniques can help them to regulate their sleep will help. This involves stabilizing bedtime hours and eliminating sleep disturbancess.

Steroid nasal sprays can help those who have blockage in the nasal area.

If the weight problem is caused by thyroid problems, getting this under control with medication, sometimes helps.

There is a dental appliance that holds the jaw and pushes the tongue forward that keeps the airway open for some.

There is a different type of breathing machine called bi-level positive airway pressure that people that can't tolerate C-Pap often find more comfortable. Before some insurances will cover this type of machine, the individual may have to fail a C-Pap trial first.There are several types of surgery that can help depending on the individuals reason for sleep apnea. Some remove tissue in the airway, tonsils or adnoids, take tissue from the back of the throat or nose, reconstruct the jaw. Of course before one considers surgery they must be aware of possible complications such as infections, and in some cases, a worsening of the sleep apnea. Finally some people qualify for bariatric surgery. There are also palate implants and in some cases tracheotomy is done.

Some times if you are new to the C-Pap it is suggested that you go to a sleep lab so that they can observe you and adjust the C-Pap to you more specifically.

Moisturizers may help skin discomfort. There are nasal pillows that can relieve pressure on the nose from the machinery.

If the individual is found to be a mouth breather, a full face mask may work much better than the regular mask that only covers the nose.

Another suggestion, if the C-Pap is still new to you, you may need to adjust to it more gradually. It is suggested that it is worn for 1 hour, and then gradually increased as you tolerate it.

I obtained some of my information from this website, and there is a lot more information available for you here:

http://www.medicinenet.com/sleep_apnea/article.htm

I hope this gives you an idea of what will work for you. If you have any further questions regarding this, don't hesitate to write back.

Take care,

Susan

Susan Ivy, Nurse (RN)
Experience: BSN, MSN, CNS