Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  MBBS, MS (General Surgery), Fellowship in Sports Medicine
5625079

I have a numb right forefinger Pad. It has been numb for ...

I have a numb right forefinger Pad. It has been numb for two months. I had a test done where they test the nerves in you wrist arm shoulder and neck. The test didn''t show anything. I was told to try wearing a carpel tunnel brace and I have for two months. It''s not helping the finger pad seems to sweel and get very red and feels like pressure. What should I do. I worry about MS. could it be an issue.

Greetings.

No, just a forefinger numbness would not be sign or symptom of MS. The following may be considered;

1) Pinched nerves in the neck can be responsible for this. A degenerative disc disease or bone spurs pressing on nerve twigs can produce the numbness. MRI of the neck can clinch the diagnosis. Read this resource;

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/pinched-nerve/DS00879

2) Deficiency of vitamin B 12 can also be responsible for it. Getting a blood level of the vitamin B 12 would substantiate the diagnosis.

3) If you have a family history of diabetes and blood sugar has not been done for some time, you should get a diabetic profile to rule out the high blood sugar, which is again a possibility for the cause.

Please feel free for your follow up questions.

Dr. Arun