Dr. Mark
Dr. Mark, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  U.S. Physician/Surgeon in Neurosurgery
206912

I am expriencing a dull ache in my right arm and around my ...

I am expriencing a dull ache in my right arm and around my right shoulder blade. I had an injury to my right side several years ago and had to go to physical theraphy for it. Over the past several years the pain will come and go depending on what I do mainly when I pick up heavy things. It has been a constant pain for the past two months and now I have numbness in my arm, hand and around the right shoulder blade. I cannot sleep at night because the dull ache won''t go away. I have tried heat, ice, mobic, massage from a physical thrapist and nothing helps. I am so miserable because I am getting very little sleep. Any suggestions?
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Mark replied 6 years ago.
Where exactly in the hand is it numb? The thumb and index finger, or the pinky/ring finger?

Any neck pain at all?

How old are you?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I haven't had any neck pain. My hand is numb at pinky and ring finger but more numbness in my right upper back by shoulder blade.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Reply to Dr. Mark's Post: I am 38 year old female
Expert:  Dr. Mark replied 6 years ago.
This certainly sounds suspicious for a possible "pinched" nerve in your neck from degenerative disc disease of the cervical spine:

http://www.spineuniverse.com/displayarticle.php/article265.html

Pressure on a nerve in the neck can cause the symptoms you describe, a pain/throbbing that is felt starting near the neck, down the shoulder/shoulder blade, in the arm to the fingers.

From the way you describe your pain, this could be either the C7 or C8 nerve, the seventh or eighth nerve in the neck that is causing the problem.

If you haven't been to your doctor recently for an exam, you probably should do so, then they can order xrays and preferably a MRI of the cervical spine to evaluate your neck.
Dr. Mark, Doctor (MD)
Experience: U.S. Physician/Surgeon in Neurosurgery
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Is there any relief you can suggest for when I lay down at night sp the ache will subside?
Expert:  Dr. Mark replied 6 years ago.
Heat and Advil/Aleve type medications are probably the best in helping with relief; however, if the nerve is getting "pinched", you may only get partial relief without stronger medications -- which is another reason to get this checked out by your doctor.
Dr. Mark, Doctor (MD)