Susan Ivy
Susan Ivy, Nurse (RN)
Experience:  BSN, MSN, CNS
8413180

When I wake up in the morning my head hurts so bad I pray ...

Customer Question

When I wake up in the morning my head hurts so bad I pray for it to just go ahead and explode so I don't have to deal with the pain anymore. My face turns a bright red (except around my eye's, which turn ghostly white) and my skin feels like it could melt off at any moment. After about 15 minutes of sitting very still on the couch it passes. Then I can get up, make breakfast, get the kids dressed, clean house etc...no problems throughout the day. Then around evening time I begin to itch all over my body. I break out in welts and not even benadryl works to relieve the itch. Are these morning and evening symptoms related? Is there anything I can do at home to relieve my discomfort permanently or should I see a Dr.? Can you give me some idea of what this might be so I can research and be prepared when and if I do see a Dr? I haven't been able to find anything online that combines these symptoms. Thanks so much for your help!
Category: Health
Expert:  Susan Ivy replied 6 years ago.

HelloCustomer

Thank you for using Justanswer.

How long has this been happening?

Have you started eating anything different or taking any medication or supplements since this started?

Have you checked your blood pressure in the morning especially, when you are having these symptoms. I would suggest you do that. If you don't want to buy a cuff, you can go to a drug store (do you have CVS in your town? They always have BP stands) and test it when you wake up if possible. Have you had a head injury? What is your alcohol and caffiene intake? What sort of stress level you are experiencing in your life right now?

These are some things the doctor will ask you, besides likely doing a neurological assessment more thoroughly than with a normal physical exam. This has an allergic component too, although it could be caused by an autoimmune problem as well as from an out side substance. So a list of your recent food intake, supplement, and medication, and your currentl lifestyle will be something that you should be prepared to have available when you see your doctor.

If you would like to discuss this further, feel free to reply with answers to some of the questions.

Take care,

Susan

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Hi Susan. Thank you for your response. This has been going on for a little over a month. I haven't changed my eating habits, beauty products or cleaning supplies. (Everyone asks me if i've changed laundry soap.) I've checked my BP several mornings when this is going on and it is usually 100/63. I haven't had a head injury. I drink one cup of coffee in the morning and I don't drink alcohol. I eat usually once a day, I am rarely hungry enough to eat more. I am not taking any medication other than the benadryl and I haven't taken that in over a week. I'm just not one to take medicines. I am otherwise healthy with no history of any complications whatsoever. This is freaking me out. Thanks again for your help.
Expert:  Susan Ivy replied 6 years ago.

Hi again.

This is something effecting your vascular system. Again, it could be an allergy, and autioimmune problem, or a reaction to stress. When I look up this combination of symptoms and when I use my past 30 years of health care experience this is what all I come up with. I found an article about the the successful resolution of a patients severe headaches and urticaria (hives) by psychotherapy. It may be that there is something not quite in your awareness yet that is causing you stress. It can be anything for too much to do in your life and needing to slow down to a need for a major life change. You will definately need to see the doctor and have labs and a physical examination to make sure there is not a physical problem.

Until then, if it would help I'd be glad to give you some simple relaxation and visualization exercises that I have written up, just let me know.

If I don't here from you, please feel free to write me back after you see your doctor. I am glad your blood pressure is good.

You are younger than menopause age, and this sounds even more extreme than perimenopausal symptoms but a hormonal change or fluctuation would be another possible situation.

Susan

Susan

Susan Ivy, Nurse (RN)
Experience: BSN, MSN, CNS
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I would appreciate you sharing your relaxation and visualization exercises. I'm going to see a Dr. tomorrow. Thanks so much Susan. You are a great help.
Expert:  Susan Ivy replied 6 years ago.

It is best to first learn the deep breathing and visualization techniques when you are calm and in a good mood, so that when you are in pain, discomfort or anxiety, the effects will transfer to you positively. That may not be possible, but keep that thought in mind.

Exercise is also a very important component of stress management as well, and to the general maintainence of cardiac, circulatory , and brain health. It will release the tension and anxiety in your system. Slowly increase the number of days and the length of time that you exercise. A daily walk of 20 to 30 minutes is all you need. Exercise helps your body to release it's natural endorphins (body's opiates)

Deep breathing: One of the easiest and most effective techniques is simple slow and deep breathing. Begin by breathing slowly, rhythmically to the count of "1, 2, 3, 4" and out "1, 2, 3, 4". When the rhythm is comfortable and relaxing, focus on feeling even more relaxed with each exhalation and feeling warm, light, weightless, and tingly (In a good energized way) as you exhale, envision all your tensions and anxieties flowing outward with each breath. This can be repeated any time you need it through out the day. You may also feel comfortable increasing the breathe count. This keeps your anxiety and tension level down by actually decreasing the Co2 in your blood.

Guided imagery is another method that you can perform separately or in combination with the deep breathing. Use your imagination to create a pleasant place or event. Perhaps start off like you are going on a journey in a forest, to a mountain, on a ship, etc. Using all your senses, smell pleasant smells, feel warmth, taste something pleasant, hear pleasant sounds, and imagine pleasant surroundings. You can also visualize a positive outcome to your situation or anything else you may be worrying about (such as relief of pain). It is said that if you can't imagine it first, you won't recognize good things when they start to happen, and you could miss it. So imagine how it would be to be completely pain free or happy and calm and looking towards the future with excitment.

Here is a web site that has a short video that you can also try to get an idea on how to get yourself started with breathing and visualization.

http://community.gaiam.com/gaiam/p/2MinuteStressEscapeGuidedRelaxationwithDrJamesRouse.html

Thank you so much for your kind words and the accept.

I here every day of the week for at least a while, so if you need any thing else from me please ask for "Susan Ivy" on the post title. You can also write back on this post while it is open (no charge)

Good luck tomorrow!

Susan