Terry
Terry, Nurse, RN, BSN
Experience:  Adult/ Respiratory/ Neonatal ICU, Pediatric/Adolescent Care, Geriatrics, Patient/Parent Counseling
5185315

life-basically no people in your life / people your close to for years

could bipolar depression or chemical depression go unnoticed by the person for years or not be diagnosed, if you suffered from low self esteem and as a result had a poor quality of life-basically no people in your life / people your close to for years - had never had friends or a social life and just been in isolation because of this. and little family contact. if you'd basically never enjoyed yourself, learned the difference btw enjoying yourself or being down, because you'd been in isolation for years anyway, hardly said anything to any people? including work colleauges, had only talked to them when work related.if you were a shy person with poor social skills and speech anyway. had just gone to work and come home,been isolated for years.Can these things go undetected for someone completely isolated.If youd always had low self esteem and didnt realy talk about how you feel ever had poor rel'ship with parents,were afraid of them kept your mouth closed and then just shyed away frm ppl
Category: Health
Expert:  Terry replied 6 years ago.

Hello clara,

The answer to your question is yes, bipolar disorder or chemical depression can go unnoticed or not diagnosed for years. If a person has been under psychiatric care then it would be detected by the doctor and further investigation would be done to make the diagnosis and then treatment begins. Some people go through life having a difficult time with themselves, as well as dealing with others, and develop low self esteem, but don't seek help. However once the person realizes that something is wrong and goes to the doctor for help, they can begin to work things out and feel better. Usually psychological or psychiatric counseling along with medication therapy such as antidepressants, helps tremendously.

Sincerely,

Terry

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Thanks for your answer. I guess what i mean is, and i don't like to tell so much of my life only i have to in order to explain it to helpe you understand,to do with diagnosing these things-If in the first place id never had a social life ever,known how to connect with people, been happy & laughed with people,felt love/been in love/ or close warm friendships from other people & never seem to be able to do this because i seem to have some sort of personality problem (& am tired of just lying & pretending im happy in order to obey my parents,they wouldnt have a clue whats normal anyway) , how would a doctor be able to determine something like bipolar or chemical depression. if i wouldnt even know what to say to them since i don't even have a life to talk about in the first place.I dont think they would. What i mean is, ive heard of other people who've been told they were bipolar because they say went through a very high time when in a relationship, then felt lower after some time in it & didnt know why.Or who suffered chemical depression after losing someone. Basically they have issues in their life to talk about with your GP. I wouldnt have anything to say because my life has never been in anyway normal,or the way ive tried to relate to people. And i cant talk to med proff & explain that, they don't seem to see anything wrong, when in fact i know there is, compared to all the people who've grown up around me & the lives i see them have.I havent even known how to enjoy myself, or be liked by other girls my whold life..most other people around me are connecting with others on a daily basis, have been in love, and loved by others. Also, and this may help with the anwer, i have never seemed to have a libido, or at least a continous one-i dont know if this is related to the anxiety /personality problem i have. I have never been in a relationship but what im trying to say is, although i have felt like having sex with someone say years ago on an odd occasion being out & around someone i found attractive, i couldnt imagine being in a relationship with s/o and having a continuous libido with that person (being around that person alot & feeling turned on enough to have sex at different times).(and please don't say its i havent met the right person, ive met lots of them for me, its to do with my libido & how i act & feel around ppl) i know most ppl in the world are able to have a long term rel'ship with s/o at some point & have a sex drive for this person coninuously. either i wouldn't feel a libido after the first time with s/o, or whatever way i come across in trying to relate to them to be in a rel'ship, they wouldn't be sexually attracted to me anymore. But my problem is, to do with my libido, ive never seemed to have a stable one where i could have sex without having to feel so high, and it all coming to an end after that. actually being able to be around ppl daily, and to still have a stable, continous sex drive. This really upsets me.
Expert:  Terry replied 6 years ago.

Hi Clara,

Thank you very much for the extra added detail. I can hear you loud and clear and I think you are ready to be helped. I strongly recommend individual or group therapy for you so you can start revealing what you have been through, and seek support and help from others. You may feel that you did not have the best time growing up, but that does not mean that you have bipolar disorder. As a matter of fact the symptoms that you describe don't sound like those of BD. Talking with a mental health professional should help you tremendously. It sounds like you need to move on from your past and look ahead to a bright future. You can call the local hospital and ask if they have any ongoing therapy groups and find out who runs them. You do eventually need to be under the care of a psychiatrist, who will determine the cause of your problem and he can provide proper medication for you. However you will still benefit from a therapy group.

I wish you well!

Terry

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Thank you again. Lastly, simply because of the difficulties i did experience since a child with social awkwarkness and embarassasment, particularly in social situations others enjoyed or found v.easy, and a difficulty in maintaining normal friendships (without me eventually annoying them/appearing odd or frustrated)and becoming angry about things on my own away frm them, basically no continuation with people, (and my parents would have been oblivious to anything wrong) other than i kept going for many yrs , and appear odd in my personality and not sexual to men (even if to look at they found me attractive, but difficulty with interaction/personality), do you think its possible i have aspergers, ive heard it can go undiagnosed. PLease Answer, somebody. I know ive asked alot, but i am grateful for your help, and will be approving & paying your answers. Thanks again.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Thank you again. Lastly, simply because of the difficulties i did experience since a child with social awkwarkness and embarassasment, particularly in social situations others enjoyed or found v.easy, and a difficulty in maintaining normal friendships (without me eventually annoying them/appearing odd or frustrated)and becoming angry about things on my own away frm them, basically no continuation with people, (and my parents would have been oblivious to anything wrong) other than i kept going for many yrs , and appear odd in my personality and not sexual to men (even if to look at they found me attractive, but difficulty with interaction/personality), do you think its possible i have aspergers sydrome, ive heard it can go undiagnosed. PLease Answer, somebody. I know ive asked alot, but i am grateful for your help, and will be approving & paying your answers. Thanks again.
Expert:  Terry replied 6 years ago.

Hi clara,

The symptoms that you describe are not particular to asperger's disorder. You write and express yourself very well. I recognize that you have been through situations that you did not desire as a child and I feel like you are trying to find that something is wrong with you so that you can fix it. You can begin getting healthy right now. You need a very good therapist to talk to so that you can work through your problems, past and present. You really sound like a wonderful person and I think you deserve the best. Instead of looking for things wrong in your life, I suggest moving forward by helping yourself to heal. You can do this with therapy and medication, if prescribed. Try to start by writing down all of the good things about yourself and any good memories that you have.

Terry

Terry, Nurse, RN, BSN
Experience: Adult/ Respiratory/ Neonatal ICU, Pediatric/Adolescent Care, Geriatrics, Patient/Parent Counseling