Dr. Mark
Dr. Mark, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  U.S. Physician/Surgeon in Neurosurgery

i had a cervical discogram done yesterday. i have two disc ...

i had a cervical discogram done yesterday. i have two disc leaking, one he said he knew would leak befor he injected and he said it ran out when he injected it. at teh time i had pain in neck arms between shoulders. my question is that after i left there and got home (about 1 hour) my lower back was killing me, it felt like pressure in my lower back and when i felt my lower back it felt swelled on the spine. i was told i have osteoarthritis in my lower back so that could have been agrivated but my question is could the discogram leaking cause the pressure and pain and feeling swelled in my lower back? i woke up this morning and it felt better and now it feels almost normal agian( slight pain from arthritis i guess) it has ben about 24 hours since i had the test run.
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Mark replied 8 years ago.
No, if you had a cervical discogram, that should not have anything to do with the discomfort in your lower back.

It was more likely due to your positioning on the exam table during the discogram itself that was the cause for your pain.

The fact that you had pain in your arms and neck and shoulders after an injection into the disc is a good sign that this disc is the problem in your neck, and that your neurosurgeon will be able to to a anterior cervical discectomy / fusion to help with your pain.