Dr. German
Dr. German, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  MD
3310972

In June of 2007 I had a breakout on my face which ...

In June of 2007 I had a breakout on my face which including rashes on my cheek area below my left eye (which ended up getting into my eye). It all started with a blister above my lip. I went to the emergency room when my eye became red and swollen, and they diagnosed it as shingles. i have had episodes of this off and on since then (mostly "cold sores" on my mouth/nose) and it is becoming very tiresome/embarrasing. I never even had cold sores before now. I am almost 42. Question - is this the right diagnosis, and will this ever stop??

Hi,Customer I think that the Diagnosis is correct .

Your doctor could prescribe You oral antiviral medication like Acyclovir (Zovirax), You will take this medication by mouth within the first 3 days of showing any symptoms.

This a virus that will always remain in your body , producing symptoms from time to time .

If the symptoms are very frequent , You could have an Immune Deficiency ( the immune system defends the body against infections ) .

The immune system defends the body against infections ,it is composed by several cells ( lymphocytes,neutrophils,basophils ,macrophages ) and proteins ( antibodies ) . When one of these elements is deficient ,the patient will have a decreased ability to combat the Varicella-Zoster virus, the virus will replicate more easily , in consequence the patient will have frequent Shingles episodes .

You could have an Immune Deficiency , consult an Immunologist Specialist to determine if You are suffering an Immune Deficiency .

Your doctor will treat you if you have one of these conditions to reduce the frequency of Shingle Episodes .

If You do not have an Immune Deficiency , the doctor will prescribe Oral Antiviral Medication to take when You are experiencing Shingles Symptoms .

If you like the answer, please click accept . A bonus will always be sincerely appreciated .

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Reply to DR. GERMAN's Post: WHEN YOU SAY IMMUNE DIFFICIENCY ONE THINKS OF A.I.D.S. - I HAD TO TAKE AN HIV TEST WITHIN THE LAST COUPLE YEARS FOR AN UPDATED INSURANCE ISSUE AND I WAS NEGATIVE - SO WHAT OTHER IMMUNE DIFFICIENCIES WOULD I HAVE? I AM AN OTHERWISE HEALTHY HETEROSEXUAL MALE, ALMOST 42, ABOUT 6'2, 215LBS, MARRIED FOR ALMOST 20 YEARS WITH MODERATE REGULAR EXCERCISE, ETC.

An immune deficiency is not AIDS , for example ,there are disorders like Common Variable Immune Deficiency Disorder( in which the patient has decreased levels of Immunogloblulins ) or other conditions like Diabetes that also affects the immune system .

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Reply to DR. GERMAN's Post: THANK YOU