How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask drkevinmd Your Own Question
drkevinmd, Doctor
Category: Health
Satisfied Customers: 238
Experience:  Board Certified Family Practice Physician by the American Board of Family Medicine
Type Your Health Question Here...
drkevinmd is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I think I broke my foot. The entire top is bruised, but the ...

Customer Question

I think I broke my foot. The entire top is bruised, but the swelling has been going down. After it happened I can still move my toes and all. I''ve been staying off of it, keeping it elevated, and icing it. I don''t have medical insurance. Is a doctor going to do anything besides putting a cast or a splint on it (something I couldn''t do on my own)?
Submitted: 8 years ago.
Category: Health
Expert:  drkevinmd replied 8 years ago.
Thanks for your question. Can you tell me how long ago and exactly how you injured the foot? Does it hurt more near the ankle or in the midfoot or near your toes?
This information will help me give you a better answer.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Reply to drkevinmd's Post: It happened Wednesday night. I was on a ladder and it tipped over. I think what happened was the ladder fell on my foot and i fell on the ladder. There was a cut that bled a decent amount right after. The part that hurts is about mid foot, halfway between my toes and ankle. I seems that the main spot is right at or just below the navicular bone or 2nd cuneiform and maybe a little on the bone going down to my second toe just below the cuneiform. It hurts more when I move my toes up, but doesn't hurt as much when I curl them under.
Expert:  drkevinmd replied 8 years ago.
Thanks for the added informtion. You are correct that the chances of needing significant intervention are low and usually these type injuries are treated with RICE and splinting or wearing a hiking boot for protection and support. I would suggest you weight one to two weeks and see how it feels. The swelling and bruising will resolve and if you are not feeling better then go in for a doctors visit and xray at that time. You may also want to call your local health department or hospital and ask for the location of the nearest clinic for uninsured patients as you can get care at lower cost than most private practice clinics.